Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absinthe Hopless Ale or lager?

Absinthe Hopless Ale or lager?

I'm thinking, of making an extract of wormwood thru my espresso machine to replace the hop bitter and after watching the antics of the 'your kids generation': : on absinthe on you-tub©, I fingered "what the hay"?
    Now if I make a kind of "boiler-maker" with Alpen Bitters© added to the cup and Wormwood Brew, I should be 'silly' in 14 days, if I'm not already, rite? Using the 14 day bottle brew method, n'cest pas?
    Would this be bi/etter as a lager or an ale?
    buurrrpp! $1.50 a litre for gas/no thanks got my own !

wormwood is very bitter per gram compared to hops. i think i used about 7 grams in 2.5 gallons and it was too bitter to drink untill aged for 2 weeks.

Yeah, but then what? Did it have an absinthe effect?
    Like I say, I'm bottle brewing in 2 litre pop bottles and brew time is 14 days. Are you saying I should lay these puppies down for an additional 2 weeks ?

There is no "Absinthe effect." Studies have shown that both the supposed psychotropic effects, and the deleterious effects are exactly the same as those drinking very large quantities of high proof alcohol.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

I'll let you have the last word on that,"king". You've probably outsmarted all the patrons and habitue's on the left bank in Paris (turn of the century) and all the modern-day stumblebums who only find it fashionable because 'Absinthe" sounds so nostalgic.
    Who would have thought that a national beer judge would have all the answers?

King is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mun Beane
    I'll let you have the last word on that,"king". You've probably outsmarted all the patrons and habitue's on the left bank in Paris (turn of the century) and all the modern-day stumblebums who only find it fashionable because 'Absinthe" sounds so nostalgic.
    Who would have thought that a national beer judge would have all the answers?
    I can answer questions about Single Malt and Absinthe because I like them both so much (the flavor). I can't answer ANYTHING about Gin, which I can only tolerate in a Gin and Tonic on a summer day.
    -Beerking

As for the lager vs. ale question, lagering is more of a PITA and is best suited for more subtle brews. Given the strong flavor of wormwood, subtle just got tossed out the window. A malty ale would be your best bet to balance the wormwood.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

So, Ale it is.
    Rat - By 'malty' do you mean dark, maybe close to burnt? Or are there lighter malts that have a stronger malt taste, say crystal, over something in the same bake range? And keeping the wort light
    Would the addition of dark roast or espresso coffee help round out or compliment the wormwood? In a dark ale
    I think dropping a shotglass of something like Alpen Bitters into the stein will be all I need in terms of complexity and wormwood if I remember correctly has alot of astringency that needs countering as well. Maybe a strong top note of ...(lavender?)

For a reference point on malty, try an Oktoberfest. It's a rich barley sort of taste. The most authentically german way to get malty flavor is to decoction mash pilsener or munich malt. For a specialty grain, try a biscuit or victory malt. Malty has nothing to do with dark roast grain, though the two are not mutually exclusive in a recipe.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Wormwood is VERY bitter. Coffee and espresso are quite bitter. Adding coffee or espresso to a wormwood beer would intensify the bitterness and make things worse. You make consider something sweeter to add, perhaps vanilla?
    -Beerking

Yeah , king, I'll ask you to refrain from adding your opinion at this point as anyone who brags of being a judge most probably has a different agenda than an adventurer. Bitter is one of the seven tastes allowed and asserts its rights to choose its own accomplices.
    "You make consider something sweeter", listen, if I were going for normal you'd be the (choose a number between 80,000 and infinity)th guy I'd call.
    Which nation do you judge beer for?
    Well, there you go!

Thanks, rat. hmmm ... victory malt, wonder if I can get that around here.

Yeah , king, I'll ask you to refrain from adding your opinion at this point as anyone who brags of being a judge most probably has a different agenda than an adventurer. Bitter is one of the seven tastes allowed and asserts its rights to choose its own accomplices.
    "You make consider something sweeter", listen, if I were going for normal you'd be the (choose a number between 80,000 and infinity)th guy I'd call.
    Which nation do you judge beer for?
    Well, there you go!

Thanks, rat. hmmm ... victory malt, wonder if I can get that around here.

If you don't WANT peoples' opinions, DON"T ASK FOR THEM! I fail to understand why you seem to have a problem with someone having a verified accomplishment in beer. As to what country I judge in, I have judged mostly in America, including the Best of Show Round in the American Homebrewers' Association's National Homebrew Competition and the Great American Beer Festival. I see you are from Canada, I would be glad to judge in the Canadian National Homebrew Competition, but Canadian Homebrewers send their beer to THE AMERICAN NATIONAL HOMEBREW COMPETITION.

You are fairly new to this board, so perhaps you don't understand that we allow people to express their opinions here, ESPECIALLY WHEN WE ASK FOR THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Your recent comments are out of line, unwarranted, and unwelcome here.
    -Beerking

I just asked specifically that I don't have to read YOUR opinion. If you can't get that, and want to hop on and show us all how wonderful your opinion is, then I pity you.
    "Your recent comments are out of line, unwarranted, and unwelcome here." and is that a self appointed God position or are your other God buddies ready to lay down the rules for you.

"I fail to understand" in a nutshell.

Was that the 'great amerikan beer festival' of Podunk, or the 'great amerikan beer festival' DesMoines, or the 'great amerikan beer festival' of Pocoima, or the 'great amerikan beer festival' of Mahannsett?

I just asked specifically that I don't have to read YOUR opinion.
    This is a public forum here, has been for many years. There are no rules about posting as long as it's informative, friendly, even entertaining.

I'm not sure where your attitude toward Beerking developed, but I haven't seen him try to be anything but conversational, and he's been a part of this community 3 years longer than you.

Take a step back and try to see that there's no member here who tries to be antagonistic or abrasive -- we're all here to enjoy conversation about our favorite subject.

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast