Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What beer were you unable to finish drinking?

Unhappy What beer were you unable to finish drinking?

It's a bit like the "best beer in the world" thread, but turned upside down...

I remember two beers that were so bad (to my own taste) that I couldn't finish them:

1) The Celis White (Michigan Brewing Company, but brewed under licence here in Belgium by Van Steenberge) beer I tasted had such a weird soap taste that I almost gagged on the first sip of it. I tried a second and a third sip, but the rest whent down the drain.
    Name:  celiset.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  30.6 KB

2) The Christmas Ale from Brouwerij DeRijk (known for its excellent "Special") I received from a colleage of mine had a production flaw: the 75cl bottle wasn't filled to the normal level and, after having been stored in a kitchen for more than a year, the beer had become oxydised... the result was utterly undrinkable!

What's you worst beer ever?
    Last edited by petitbilbo; 07-31-2008 at 08:08 AM.
    petitbilbo
    from Belgium, the beer country

Secondary: -
    Bottle Conditioning: Worringer Pils (Lager)
    Serving: Tzar Russian Imperial Stout, Belgian Dubbel

shiner bock
    cave creek chili beer

blech!
    I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia- the fear of an empty glass!

I am finding more and more beer that I am unable to drink nowadays, I chalk it up to heightened senses, refined palette, and not drinking for the purposes of rehydration or intoxication. In other words, I only want to drink great beer.

I love to try new beers, and I typically try to avoid the ones that I'm pretty sure I won't like, but sometimes it just happens.

Last week, my mother picked me up some Minhas Creek Classic Lager, which was just launched in Saskatchewan. I had no plans of purchasing this swill, but my sweet mom thought she was doing a nice thing for her beer loving son. Had about 3-4 small sips to do a review, and dumped the rest. Gave the remaining cans to my brother in law.

Was drinking Blue Moon last Saturday night at a bar where my band was playing. The first pint went down ok, but I was playing onstage and talking with friends, so I wasn't really focussing on the beer. I grabbed a second pint to relax and watch the next band, but I couldn't stomach it. The orange flavour was so dominant and so phoney, I gave the near full pint to our lead guitar player, and drank water the rest of the night.

Other recent dumps were bottles of Lindeman's Framboise and Kriek. Again, over the top, phoney fruit taste, cloyingly sweet crap. Did quick reviews and moved onto something more palatable.

As the saying goes, "life is too short to drink shitty beer."
    Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
    Secondary: Flanders Red 10, Flanders Red 08/09
    Bottle Conditioning: Cyser
    Kegged: DIPA
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat.....
    Fake cherry Taste. Utter garbage
    Toxic Waste Brewery

Currently in Primary: Not a Thing
    Currently in Secondary: zip
    Bottle Conditioning: nothing
    Currently Drinking:Nada
    What's Next: nothing what so ever

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished....

For those who don't know, I'm also a Luthier.

DogfishHead's Punkin Ale. Undoubtedly the vilest foulest liquid ever bottled. I tried it twice thinking the first bottle must have been bad. I had to brush my teeth after I poured the beer down the drain and scrubbed the sink.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by Otis_The_Drunk
    Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat.....
    Fake cherry Taste. Utter garbage
    AGREED!!! I never cared for Sucrets, and finding it in a bottle is even worse!
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    DogfishHead's Punkin Ale. Undoubtedly the vilest foulest liquid ever bottled. I tried it twice thinking the first bottle must have been bad. I had to brush my teeth after I poured the beer down the drain and scrubbed the sink.
    Gee, I liked that one. To each his own.

Have you had a chance to try Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin? It has just come out for this year.
    Last edited by beerking; 08-01-2008 at 08:59 PM.
    -Beerking

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    Gee, I liked that one. To each his own.

Have you had a chance to try Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin? It has just come out for this year.
    No but here's a general observation. I had read so much about Dogfish Head and Weyerbacher before we went back east last year on vacation. I've tried every beer that I could find from both breweries and I've found them much too sweet for my tastes. I keep trying their brews but honestly I don't understand the hype. I love the quad style, but Weyerbacher's is sweeter than the syrup I put on my pancakes.

Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    No but here's a general observation. I had read so much about Dogfish Head and Weyerbacher before we went back east last year on vacation. I've tried every beer that I could find from both breweries and I've found them much too sweet for my tastes. I keep trying their brews but honestly I don't understand the hype. I love the quad style, but Weyerbacher's is sweeter than the syrup I put on my pancakes.
    Truth be told, Western microbrews are MUCH better than Eastern ones. Thats why we don't ship ours back there and we don't bring theirs out here.
    -
    RDW, the worst that can happen is that you have to actually 'buy' beer.

Drinking: Coal Porter, American Amber
    Primary:
    Secondary: Saison
    Conditioning: Pale Ale, Bohemian Pilsner Lager
    In queue: Orange Tripel, Imperial Stout, IPA

Quote Originally Posted by dparsons
    Truth be told, Western microbrews are MUCH better than Eastern ones. Thats why we don't ship ours back there and we don't bring theirs out here.
    1. Umm..."ours"?? I haven't heard much of anything about New Mexico beers.

2. While I agree with Corky that DFH is a bit of a one trick pony, with mostly sweet and sometimes heavy beers, I have found some good, well balanced beers from Weyerbacher. As far as "Eastern" micros, you have to put Three Floyds, Jolly Pumpkin, Victory, Stoudt's, and a lot of other EXCELLENT "eastern" breweries into the mix. Many of them would certainly beat out any NM brewery, and most "Western" breweries in a head to head competition, IMHO. In fact, they frequently do. There is this little thing called the Great American Beer Festival wherein many in fact DO beat out western breweries.

Granted, there are some AWESOME western breweries, but I just don't think you can generalize like that.
    -Beerking

My worst memory of a crappy beer was Hop'N'Gator. More recently DFH Liquor de Malt and New Glarus Spotted Cow. Both the latter bring back bad memories of the early days of drinking in the 70s when corn was a large percentage of the grain bill for many American brews of that time.

With all due respect, Three Floyds and Jolly Pumpkin are midwestern micros.
    Next Up: New House Bitter, New Job IPA
    Primary:
    Lagering:
    Kegged:
    Serving: Store bought :(

Quote Originally Posted by chazwicke
    My worst memory of a crappy beer was Hop'N'Gator.
    Tho' I remember it, I am lucky enough to never have tasted it, at least, not that I remember.

OTOH, maybe those Iron City guys were just "ahead of their time" what with the recent success of Miller Chill ($40.8 million in sales in 2007) and Bud Light Lime (378,922 cases sold in the first two weeks of July)?

Quote Originally Posted by hooky
    With all due respect, Three Floyds and Jolly Pumpkin are midwestern micros.
    A mere naming convention. The fact is they are both EAST of the Mississippi.

We could divide the discussion many ways, but in this case, the only division introduced is "Eastern" versus "Western."
    -Beerking

Quote Originally Posted by dparsons
    Actually, hop bomb beers produced by Stone and a few other West Coast breweries are no more appealing(to me)than the sweet beers I mentioned before. It's not the coast-the problem is with the brewery regardless of whether it's East, West, Europe or Asia.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast