Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What beer were you unable to finish drinking?

just last night i drank southern tier harvest ale, i had to pour it out, too strong and bitter for my taste. i switched to red stripe and was happy the rest of the night

In the words of the great Michael Jackson (and not the one who owned a ranch), "Beer is supposed to be bitter."

Since this is your first post, you probably need to look around here a little and learn more about the world of beer. There's a whole bunch'a good flavor out there that you're missing by settling with Red Stripe.

S.
    Last edited by steveh; 10-14-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

You know, I just recalled that on our recent camping trip I tried a bottle and could only bring myself to get through a couple swallows before I gave up: Dundee Pale Bock Lager. Just wasn't worth the time.

S.

I can't think of any beer that I just couldn't stand to finish. There are plenty that have been disappointments or just not anything that I'd entertain trying again.

Hoegaarden among the disappointments. I get a recipe kit from my lhbs that I enjoy more than Hoegaarden. Save for the last time I brewed it and it fermented too hot.

Nearly anything from New Belgium goes on the list to not try again.
    As a matter of fact, I do have a good reason for smelling like a brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    In the words of the great Michael Jackson (and not the one who owned a ranch), "Beer is supposed to be bitter."

Since this is your first post, you probably need to look around here a little and learn more about the world of beer. There's a whole bunch'a good flavor out there that you're missing by settling with Red Stripe.

S.
    looking around here and learning more will not change my taste buds. i just didn't like it. sam adams oktoberfest was amazing. woodchuck oak aged cider was amazing as well but i drank those b4 the evil harvest ale

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyBrew
    looking around here and learning more will not change my taste buds.
    You'd be surprised, your palate can really evolve as you try new & different beers -- if you let it.

sam adams oktoberfest was amazing. woodchuck oak aged cider was amazing as well but i drank those b4 the evil harvest ale
    And that will definitely alter your perception of each beer. Try the Harvest on a clean palate and you may be surprised at how different it tastes.

S.
    Last edited by steveh; 10-15-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    You'd be surprised, your palate can really evolve as you try new & different beers -- if you let it.

And that will definitely alter your perception of each beer. Try the Harvest on a clean palate and you may be surprised at how different it tastes.

S.
    thanks for the advice. my taste buds will get used to and even learn to enjoy certain brews. if i drink stronger crafted beer and then switch to light beer, miller light for example, going back to crafted does taste weird sometimes. i will try my dif. brews i recently purchased from my local beer kingdom they call Beers of the World before drinking anything as to get a unbiased unaltered taste experience. CHEERS

Only a couple

Taking out all the lightstruck and oxi'd beers I've had to waste there are precious few that I have had to dump.

While we've had the discussion before I'll tempt fate again to say that I couldn't stomach a Rouch bier (you know the one) that I bought on a whim.
    Where will you drink today? http://www.wetyourwhistles.com

Welcome back Star!

The last brew I could not finish was very recently - Southern Tier's Imperial Pumpkin.

Quote Originally Posted by chazwicke
    Welcome back Star!

The last brew I could not finish was very recently - Southern Tier's Imperial Pumpkin.
    Based on how some other people I know rave about it, plus the fact that you couldn't finish it makes me really intrigued. I picked up a bottle today, I can't wait to try it.
    "Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire" ~ David Rains Wallace

i just tried the harvest ale southern tier brews and wasn't too thrilled with it. haven't tried their pumpkin ale, how is blue moon's version of pumpkin beer?

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyBrew
    i will try my dif. brews i recently purchased from my local beer kingdom they call Beers of the World before drinking anything as to get a unbiased unaltered taste experience. CHEERS
    Was this a prepackaged box of beers from different breweries? If so, be careful. Many stores purchase these generic packages and fill them with aging beer or even beer that is well past its freshness window. If that retailer allows you to mix your own six packs, go for it. Much better way to try new brews.

nope, they let you buy them by the bottle, you can take anything that is in a 6-pack and just buy one bottle of it. very cool store, i got beer from all over. thailand, japan, germany, china, etc. thanks for the heads up tho. i did see those prepacked 6-packs but i wasn't gonna buy those when i can choose on my own
    In Brewing Process...
    - CrandyAppleBerry Cider
    - Raspberry Imperial Cyser
    - Grapple Cider
    - Strawberry Kiwi Wine
    - Cider #1
    - Australian Draught Beer

Bottled...
    - American Honey Wheat Ale
    - Honey Wheat German Lager

BEER, IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER

Quote Originally Posted by Beefsteak
    Based on how some other people I know rave about it, plus the fact that you couldn't finish it makes me really intrigued. I picked up a bottle today, I can't wait to try it.

It is all pumpkin and no spices which would seem like a good thing...All I got was a waxy candy corn or popcorn butter smell and it was hard to get past that. My wife and son did not like it either. I had a bomber that I got at Whole Foods I think. I managed to get through about a half a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by chazwicke
    It is all pumpkin and no spices which would seem like a good thing...All I got was a waxy candy corn or popcorn butter smell and it was hard to get past that. My wife and son did not like it either. I had a bomber that I got at Whole Foods I think. I managed to get through about a half a pint.
    I might be in your boat then. I like DFH's and Weyerbacher's because the spices.
    "Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire" ~ David Rains Wallace

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast