Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wee heavy recipe needed

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    Go the Simple route.

Simple Wee Heavy

A SIMPLE recipe from Vance??? Vance are you okay? Do you have a fever or something?
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

Quote Originally Posted by Baacktoberfest
    A SIMPLE recipe from Vance??? Vance are you okay? Do you have a fever or something?
    Roflmao, nope im just fine, just thought that i would show that i can do a classic simple recipe, just because i prefer to brew odd stuff for me, doesn't mean i haven't learned the hobby well from people here. Should seen what i brewed this weekend you would be just as shocked! 10lbs Pale malt,1/2 lb crystal 20, mashed @156 1oz fuggle first wort hopped, Pitched s-33. Nothing fancy at all.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

A simple recipe is 99% Pale 2 row and 1% roasted barley because hops were so highly taxed in Scotland they were scarcely used. Maybe 1 oz. EKG or Fuggles That's what i DID AND IT CAME OUT AWSOME! Boil the first gallon down to a pint and add back to the boil and you will be rewarded with a malty rich brew.HTH
    Drinking:Hydrometer sample.
    Up next: Gumballhead clone,Surly Furious Clone
    Primary:Scottish120/?,Simco/Warrior Red, Dogfish 90min Clone.
    Secondary:nadda
    Bottle conditioning:Belgian Imperial Stout,Wee heavy Bottled:Olde Ale,IPA,APA Black IPA steam beer.

Quote Originally Posted by MootsLnbKing
    A simple recipe is 99% Pale 2 row and 1% roasted barley because hops were so highly taxed in Scotland they were scarcely used. Maybe 1 oz. EKG or Fuggles That's what i DID AND IT CAME OUT AWSOME! Boil the first gallon down to a pint and add back to the boil and you will be rewarded with a malty rich brew.HTH
    That's pretty much exactly what I did except I used Wye Challenger. The first impression was sweetness, but it wasn't sweet at all.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

It was hot as f--k this weekend but we got the wee heavy brewed. You def get an interesting color from the boil down.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel

I also just brewed a 10 gallon split batch of Wee Heavy OG 1.080. Half is fermenting on a Cali V yaest cake and the other on an Abbey ale cake. Hope their good.
    Bottle conditioning:Belgian Imperial Stout,Wee heavy Bottled:Olde Ale,IPA,APA Black IPA steam beer.

Quote Originally Posted by MootsLnbKing
    I also just brewed a 10 gallon split batch of Wee Heavy OG 1.080. Half is fermenting on a Cali V yaest cake and the other on an Abbey ale cake. Hope their good.
    That should be interesting. You should post the differance between the two. I'd be interested to hear how they turn out. Wee Heavies are new to me. They're hard to find around here, so it took a while to discover them at all. I had a Traquair Jacobite and it became my religion.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Update: Active fermentation has ended. No more bubbling for a couple of days. I'd been keeping the temp down by using frozen 20 oz bottles into the bin that I keep my fermenter in. Do I need to continue until fermentation is complete to get the desired effect?
    This is the first time I've really done anything to control temp.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Quote Originally Posted by Baacktoberfest
    That should be interesting. You should post the differance between the two. I'd be interested to hear how they turn out. Wee Heavies are new to me. They're hard to find around here, so it took a while to discover them at all. I had a Traquair Jacobite and it became my religion.
    Traquair House ale is awesome too. Scotch ales are one of my favorite styles. Maybe cause I'm half Scottish.

So here's what I went with:

6 Gold LME
    2 6 Row
    2 Aromatic
    1 Wheat DME
    .5 Caramel 40
    .5 Carawheat
    .125 Peated Malt
    .25 Roasted Barley

.5 Styrian Goldings 60
    2 Willamette 60

2 oz Oak Chips soaked in Scotch

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

I took a sample last night and it tastes VERY promising. Without a doubt the most complete fermentation I've gotten so far. Thanks for all of your input. It seems to have made for quite a beer.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12