Thread: A-B and the 1980's Navy

A-B and the 1980's Navy

I know there are MANY Anheuser-Busch haters out there, so I ask the following with biases set aside. Are there any US Navy sailors from the 1980's out there who, deep down inside have an undying taste/preference for Budweiser?? Or, are myself, my father, my best friend, the and the entire cast of Top Gun the only ones?? I'm just curious as to whether it's just a huge coincidence or not.

Thank you
    Last edited by Botoole560; 11-18-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Probably not on this board.

I became a Midshipman in 1978, and was commissioned in 1982, and I can't stand Bud. I will drink ANYTHING else instead, and that includes water. Michelob is OK, and I will occasionally drink the specialty beers they have been coming out with lately, but I never really seek them out.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

I served on the Uss Forrestal from 1981-1985 Engineering A-division. We usually went to the Med and IO. As BeerKing stated above, anything but Bud. it was part of the "adventure" to seek out what the locals were drinking.
    Some hits, some misses, but a good time none the less. I think my favorite from that era was the original German version of lowenbrau which was avalible in most ports we hit. The Absolute worst was in Alexandria Egypt, a big green champagne style bottle full of what tasted like the Nile smelled like at low tide. Even state side I would still go with the regional favorite over any BMC. (That's not short for a Chief Bo'sun mate).
    Being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned.
    Samuel Johnson

I came in the Navy in the early 90's so I do not fall under your 80's criteria but, I can say, I am a Sailor and I do not like Budweiser. I'll use it to water the lawn, flush the toilet or lure some slugs in the Northwest though.

Botoole, I have to ask, how are you tied to the Navy in Chicagoland?
    Calm seas do not make skillfull Sailors.

Primary: Clean and Sanitized Carboys
    Secondary: Clean and Sanitized Carboys
    Bottled: Nothing
    Kegged: Clean and Sanitized
    On Tap:
    Tap1: Dry
    Tap2: Dry
    Tap3: Dry
    Tap4: Dry

All equipment packed and in the process of moving. Hope to start brewing in late February.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K. Jeeves
    I served on the Uss Forrestal from 1981-1985 Engineering A-division. We usually went to the Med and IO. As BeerKing stated above, anything but Bud. it was part of the "adventure" to seek out what the locals were drinking.
    Some hits, some misses, but a good time none the less. I think my favorite from that era was the original German version of lowenbrau which was avalible in most ports we hit. The Absolute worst was in Alexandria Egypt, a big green champagne style bottle full of what tasted like the Nile smelled like at low tide. Even state side I would still go with the regional favorite over any BMC. (That's not short for a Chief Bo'sun mate).
    My favorite "locals" hang out was a Belgian Bistro I found in Benidorm in 1987. They had about 20 Belgian beers (all good ones, no Stella), and served them all in the proper glassware. Place was run by 2 brothers from Belgium

My worst experience was Spanish San Miguel (the one in the Phillippines was fine), which would give me a migraine headache after about 1/2 a bottle, EVERY TIME!
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

I went into the Navy in October of 1979, and at the time I didn't know any better. I was 17 and Bud was the only thing I had drank. I was on the USS Tripoli LHP10. I had gone all over the pacific, drank Beer in the Philippines (San Miguel) and Australia and the little islands (the ones the Muslims hadn't taken over) and the beer was OK at best. It wasn't until I took my 30 days vacation over in Europe that I found out what real beer tasted like.
    I had traveled to Germany, France and Belgium and sampled beers there.
    After I got out of the Navy and had gotten state side a few years and was married I discovered Homebrewing. (1988) It was then that I discovered I could duplicate some of the beers I drank over seas. 20 years later, I'm still brewing.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

Currently in Primary: Not a Thing
    Currently in Secondary: zip
    Bottle Conditioning: nothing
    Currently Drinking:Nada
    What's Next: nothing what so ever

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished....

For those who don't know, I'm also a Luthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fouled Anchor
    I came in the Navy in the early 90's so I do not fall under your 80's criteria but, I can say, I am a Sailor and I do not like Budweiser. I'll use it to water the lawn, flush the toilet or lure some slugs in the Northwest though.

Botoole, I have to ask, how are you tied to the Navy in Chicagoland?
    Plank holder of a certain U.S. sub which recently leaked radiation ALL OVER THE PLANET. (Sorry!!) Just moved here in 1993 and am now but a humble civillian male nurse and paramedic. (sigh)

Thank you
    Last edited by Botoole560; 11-21-2008 at 09:27 PM.

A USS Houston plank owner, Hoo-Yah silent service Navy. I'll save everyone from all the sub jokes.

Still not a Bud fan though.
    Calm seas do not make skillfull Sailors.

Primary: Clean and Sanitized Carboys
    Secondary: Clean and Sanitized Carboys
    Bottled: Nothing
    Kegged: Clean and Sanitized
    On Tap:
    Tap1: Dry
    Tap2: Dry
    Tap3: Dry
    Tap4: Dry

All equipment packed and in the process of moving. Hope to start brewing in late February.