Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: StarSan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
    Get a carboy drier...about $5 aat your LHBS or eHBS. Lets you drain most of the foam out.
    I actually have one, it's not really what it is but it's a wire frame that holds it perfectly for drying. I just didn't think of using it. Thanks!

Don't let the foam bother you... it's best to fill the carboy while it is still wet with the sanitizer. I know it feels weird pouring your wort into all that foam - but you'll get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan
    Don't let the foam bother you... it's best to fill the carboy while it is still wet with the sanitizer. I know it feels weird pouring your wort into all that foam - but you'll get over it!
    Ok, but if I let the foam settle, how much of it would turn into liquid StarSan? Then it is in my beer? A little foam I could see, but geez, after shaking it there was half a carboy full of dense foam.

When it falls below 300 mg/L Star San ceases to act as a sanitizer, and becomes a nutrient for the yeast.

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Exactly. You may end up with perhaps 1 oz of solution at a dilution rate of 1/4 oz of sanitizer per 128 oz (gal) of water and then mixing that into 5 gallons of wort. You can do the math, but it isn't enough to be concerned over.

BTW... rinse everything with Star-San solution before letting it dry and storing... it works especially well for getting all the water out of hoses.

Yeast nutrient. Very interesting. Ok, I'll stop worrying about the foam. And I'll try rinsing before putting my stuff away. Thanks, good stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123