Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: StarSan?

I just invested in a bottle of StarSan, and for the first time in 3 years of brewing (I said that like it's a long time... ) I'm gonna try the switch from bleach. I like the fast/no-rinse aspect.

Correct me please, because this is the way I understand it. I make a 5 gallon mix of 1oz. StarSan and water in a bucket. Then I can pour it into my fermenter, wait a minute, pour it into the other fermenter, wait another minute, and then pour it back into the original bucket for later use? I can keep using the same solution over and over until the pH is above 3? Or I can just spray the surfaces? (Not sure how that would work with a carboy)

yup...I actually use about a quart in each of my carboys, and then just shake the hell out of it.

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Mad, then without making the "big batch" how do you sanitize hoses, wands, canes, etc.? I also bought pH strips that go that low to test it and save money on the sanitizer. If I had know you could use the sanitizer over and over like that, I would have saved some clothes from bleach over the years!

Make sure the Starsan gets onto every surface, and I would go with a 5 minute wait, just to be sure. 1 minute will work, under perfect conditions, but for an extra 4 minutes, I would rather be safe than sorry.
    For your lines, you do need to make enough to get a good flow through everything.
    Remember, both the foam, and the layer of sanitizer remaining on the surface will still sanitize.

One note, don't put anything that is not already clean into the sanitizer if you are going to save it. It will turn cloudy, which is the other indication that it is no longer any good.

Your water will also turn it cloudy over time. If you have hard water, and want to make a batch you can keep a while, try distilled.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Ok, good tips as well Beerking. I seen that others mentioned the distilled water and I plan to use that. My water is on the hard side. I'll try and find a container to seal it up in when I'm done. When I used bleach, it was always with clean equipment too. Does this stuff burn your skin at the dilution rate?

No. It is totally and completely safe at the recommended concentration. That is why it is no-rinse. I wouldn't recommend it, but I believe you could even drink it at that level.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegobrew
    Mad, then without making the "big batch" how do you sanitize hoses, wands, canes, etc.? I also bought pH strips that go that low to test it and save money on the sanitizer. If I had know you could use the sanitizer over and over like that, I would have saved some clothes from bleach over the years!
    Mike, I should have been more specific. I sanitze hoses, racking cane, airloacks, etc in a seperate pitcher, but I still pour the sanitizer back into the five gallon container that I use to store sani.

I keep a batch on hand at all times, it just loses volume over time....once it gets low, I just go get another 5 gallons of R.O. water and mix another batch. pH is checked before use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
    Mike, I should have been more specific. I sanitze hoses, racking cane, airloacks, etc in a seperate pitcher, but I still pour the sanitizer back into the five gallon container that I use to store sani.

I keep a batch on hand at all times, it just loses volume over time....once it gets low, I just go get another 5 gallons of R.O. water and mix another batch. pH is checked before use.
    I guess I never thought of just using a seperate container. Good stuff.

Well, hard to sanitize hoses and other stuff in a carboy....

I broke a racking cane once trying to get the curved part in a carboy. I was sure I could do it before it broke.

Nice, very nice....how were you going to get it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
    Nice, very nice....how were you going to get it out?
    I hadn't thought it through that far. Purple Haze....

This morning I prepared a starter for my brewday on Saturday. (2 stager for 10 gallons.) I used the StarSan for the first time. I decided to see how my regular water would do in a 2.5 gallon mixture of StarSan. It did not take long at all for it to become slightly cloudy. I think i'll use distilled from here on out.
    Definitely easier to use than bleach. And my clothes made it too!

I put about a quart of StarSan in my carboy and shook it like Mad Scientist suggested and then I dropped it. Just kidding. Actually I kept telling myself, "don't drop it dude." But man it took a long time for all that foam to work it's way out of that little hole. Worked great in the bucket though. I just kept spraying the walls of the bucket where the the StarSan wasn't every 20 seconds or so for a few minutes. If I don't get an infection then I like it.

Get a carboy drier...about $5 aat your LHBS or eHBS. Lets you drain most of the foam out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast