Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: organic Breweries

organic Breweries

I just got a book for christmas about organic breweries

The only organic beer I have tried Is St.Peters from england

Anyone else tried an organic?

I have not but the grocery store I work for sells an organic brand. I can't remember whose it is. I'll find out in case you would like to do a taste comparison.

Wolavers (sp?) in VT is an organic brewery.
    They're now housed with Otter Creek...

I had the Pale Ale over the summer. It wasn't bad...
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Originally posted by threecb
    Wolavers (sp?) in VT is an organic brewery.
    They're now housed with Otter Creek...

I had the Pale Ale over the summer. It wasn't bad...
    That is the brand we sell.

I had the Pale Ale over the summer. It wasn't bad... [/B]
    This is the sort of response I expected

I assume organic breweries are trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, not make a good beer.

I have made several organic beers. Most of which were quite excellent. The brew shop that I live by now, I would occasionally buy stuff from in the past when I lived not too far from here. They are 100% organic on their core ingredients. The reason I dont shop there all the time is that the organic crowd sometimes will sacrifice quality in return for organic. This store wont even carry non organic ingredients. Thats fine if that is the way you choose to do things, more power to ya I say. That being said I always want to make the best quality beer I can make I really dont care if the ingredients are organic or not, to me its all about the end product. If the best ingredients happen to be organic then cool if not thats cool too.

my .02

Marble in Manchester

I visited this pub last time I was visiting my original home town of Manchester. All their beers are classified as organic. They are also vegan - so they don't use fish bladders (isinglass) to clear their beers, preferring to leave them slightly hazy.

I tried several of their beers and all were excellent, especially the Manchester Bitter that reminded me of how Boddingtons used to taste before they were taken over by a mutlinational corporation (now interbrew).
    Here is their website

Apparently while the barley is relatively easy to grow organically the hops are a problem. Some strains work better than others, the Target variety seems to be the major hop of choice for organics.

The one shop I frequent has a few Sam Smith organics but I always seem to find something else to buy instead. Maybe I'll stop by and get one so I can see what the difference is. What is the difference supposed to be? Maybe I'm missing something, but do you really need chemicals and such to grow quality barley and hops?

I've had 3 of the 4 styles Wolaver's brews. The Pale is drinkable, the IPA isn't bad at all and the Brown Ale was probably my favorite of the bunch - the Brown being very tasty on tap. They released an Oatmeal Stout late last year that I have yet to see at any of my regular haunts.

And while I do not grow my own grains/hops or consider myself pro-organic per se, I do think there a quite a few requirements to being "certified organic". And I would assume the larger malt/hops growers use artificial fertilizers and pest controls on their large fields. Just speculation.

Cheers!

IIRC, all of Pinkus' beers are organic...
    keep on truckin'...

There are a couple/few organic breweries in No. California. One is a brewpub in Ukiah. Not only are the beers organic, but all the food served is as well. I haven't been there, so I don't know much about it, but I have heard good things.

The other one is Butte Creek Brewing in Chico. They bottle their beer, but I'm not sure how widely distributed they are. I haven't had their beer in years, but as I recall, they are pretty good.

Cheers,

Steve

Mill St. in toronto makes an organic ale. Pretty lame beer in cute little
    bottles geared towards female drinkers (my wife was insulted).

The rest of their line, particularily the Tankhouse Pale (not Organic) was very good! They didn't have the Coffee Porter though...dissapointed...
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

I think the Saint Peter's beers are good.

What is an organic beer anyway? If it means no additives or perservatives thats great. Why don't they just say it follows the reinheitsgebot or some thing like that. To purify your water source to where it does not contain any non-organic material (Burton Salts anyone?) would be difficult. On that note is water even an organic compound? I don't think it is, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for the rant I just don't understand why people think that "all natural ingredients" or "organic" is better than what you have always gotten. For example there is a commercial up here for a soap. Someone touches many different bars of soap and then a peice of litmus paper. The paper turns blue for all but the distilled water and the soap they are selling. The advertisers think this is somehow good. I think the soap has the cleaning abilities of distilled water.

So I guess I'd be just as happy if my beer were made by some guy in a lab coat mixing chemicals in beakers as long as it tastes good to me. (and doesn't turn my skin a different colour).

M.

(Sorry again for the rant)

Agreed. I try most different beers that i run across. I could care less if it is organic or not as long as it tastes good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast