Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Best Beer You have ever Drank?

Whats the Best Beer You have ever Drank?

As the title says, what is the Best Beer you have ever drank. Be in Micro Brew,Home Brew,Corporate piss beer, Whatever it may be let us know.This is a personal taste thing so don't be afraid to answer. If Natty ice is your fave say it. Ill start.I have about 7 tied for best. If its home brewed and you still have the recipe feel free to share it.Sadly i cant find my India brown ale recipe at the moment.

Bachelor ESB
    Black Butte Porter
    Obsidian Stout
    Twilight Pale Ale
    Cinder Cone Red Ale
    Mirror Pond Pale Ale
    And My Home brewed India Brown Ale
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

There are many, but a few stand out:

I judged a Kolsch in a competition this past summer that I gave a 49.
    The only point I took off was for a slight chill haze. This was by far the finest home brew I have ever sampled. Think about that - it takes serious cajones to give a score like that. What would happen if I was wrong? How do you tell a guy that his 49 pt beer DID NOT win BOS? I am happy that the BOS panel agreed without any prodding on my part and that beer rightfully took first place BOS for the 300+ beer competition.

This past fall, when I was teaching a BJCP class, we were sampling Sours. I had gotten a bottle of Rodenbach Grand Cru for the Flanders Red sample.
    Something about it -- perfect freshness, balance, everything about that beer was spot on.

Way back when I was a 16 or 17 year old high school kid, and the drinking age was still 18, I was helping my much older cousin dig out around the foundation for his as yet unbuilt house. This was July or August, and the temp was in the mid '90s (~35C for the rest of you). We were there all day, moving dirt around by hand in a wheelbarrow and digging out rocks with a shovel and crowbar. Around 5:30 or 6pm, he hands me a little Miller High Life 8oz stubbie out of a little cooler that he had in his truck.
    I'd say that little bottle was probably the best beer I ever had.
    Last edited by BrewDog; 01-19-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

The beer that is currently in my hand.
    Scott

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

Well, if we are talking best beer in terms of brand name, that is, the beer you keep coming back to, for me that would be Duvel.

For best single beer experience, that is, best single beer, whether it was anything you would go back to or not, I have to say that one sunny early spring afternoon in Tahoe, I picked up a bottle of Ayinger Maibock. Granted, this is a great beer all the time, but the experience of drinking that beer with 3'+ of snow on the ground, sun shining and temp in the mid-50s was jsut perfect.

More recently, and homebrew related, I just sampled my newest version of my rauch hellerbock while I was kegging it. THIS BATCH IS F'in AWESOME! I may have to see if I can get this new recipe into the Pro-Am and go for Gold this time!
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    Well, if we are talking best beer in terms of brand name, that is, the beer you keep coming back to, for me that would be Duvel.

For best single beer experience, that is, best single beer, whether it was anything you would go back to or not, I have to say that one sunny early spring afternoon in Tahoe, I picked up a bottle of Ayinger Maibock. Granted, this is a great beer all the time, but the experience of drinking that beer with 3'+ of snow on the ground, sun shining and temp in the mid-50s was jsut perfect.

More recently, and homebrew related, I just sampled my newest version of my rauch hellerbock while I was kegging it. THIS BATCH IS F'in AWESOME! I may have to see if I can get this new recipe into the Pro-Am and go for Gold this time!
    Maybe is should PM you my address so you can send me a bottle for testing purposes!
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Maibock - From a brewery
    Belgian wit from RockBottom here in Indy

Bass ale
    Smithwicks

Hmm..... subjective question
    In Ireland the pint of Guinness at the gravity bar
    In London a pint of cask Adnams Broadside
    Here and now, a pint of my homebrewed bitter
    Being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned.
    Samuel Johnson

There's no such thing as the best beer ever, I've had too many great beers in great situations with great people. Now if you wanted to know about the worst, that's easy.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by BrewDog
    Way back when I was a 16 or 17 year old high school kid, and the drinking age was still 18, I was helping my much older cousin dig out around the foundation for his as yet unbuilt house. This was July or August, and the temp was in the mid '90s (~35C for the rest of you). We were there all day, moving dirt around by hand in a wheelbarrow and digging out rocks with a shovel and crowbar. Around 5:30 or 6pm, he hands me a little Miller High Life 8oz stubbie out of a little cooler that he had in his truck.
    I'd say that little bottle was probably the best beer I ever had.
    Thats a fantastic little story and probably the best answer that could be given to this question. Ive had a similar experience with what we all would otherwise call bad beer. Im old enough now to know the context is so much more important than any high brow rating system when it comes to this kind of thing (of course it doesnt hurt if you are dieing of thirst as well).
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

a guy in our club shared an absolutely amazing beer with a select few right before the holidays.

it was a 1993 vintage Boon Kriek and it was absolutely fabulous! I can still smell and taste it if I think about it. Even better, this beer was released before I was out of high school!
    Last edited by HarkJohnny; 01-20-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia- the fear of an empty glass!

I have to agree with the train of thought that it is the situation and not the beer that make it special or the best. Some of the best beers I had were on two different occasions. One time was with Deco and Clockwork Orange at the Ommegang event. The other was with Deco and Jake on the canoe trip. Can't r remember which beers but they were great with the company i had.
    Olgethorpe is screening me!

Back when I was in school, during summer break worked roofing barns. Would get on the job site about 5 am and work till about 11 am or so then the shingles would get too hot to walk on in the summer sun. About 4 pm would go back up on the east or north face as usually they would be shaded somewhat by then and would work till about 8-8:30 pm or dusk.

At one particular farm a stream was about 15 yards from the barn and we would put our sodas in the stream to keep them cold. When we finished the job (ahead of schedule) the boss, as a reward, had stuck 12 Special Export bottles in the stream. When the work crew came to the steam to cool down and relax we saw the brews and drank freely. It was probable the best beer I can remember drinking and due in large part to the setting.

Maybe not the best but not too distant. My Wife. Mother in Law(the best ) and I Hiked to Fremont saddle overlooking Weavers Needle. Colds as Hell and Snowing! (check my location) Sat down on a rock and ate a PBJ and cheese and crackers in the clouds while sipping Black Buttes. Ahh. I could live that 4ever.

Every Busch Light that was dispensed from a kegerator (that was NEVER cleaned in the 4 years I attended) in college at the Fraternity house I lived in. Then all those Falstaff sp? beers with the puzzles on the underside of the bottle caps when the keg ran out.

Modern day... Fullers ESB. I can't get enough of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna Lager
    Back when I was in school, during summer break worked roofing barns. Would get on the job site about 5 am and work till about 11 am or so then the shingles would get too hot to walk on in the summer sun. About 4 pm would go back up on the east or north face as usually they would be shaded somewhat by then and would work till about 8-8:30 pm or dusk.

At one particular farm a stream was about 15 yards from the barn and we would put our sodas in the stream to keep them cold. When we finished the job (ahead of schedule) the boss, as a reward, had stuck 12 Special Export bottles in the stream. When the work crew came to the steam to cool down and relax we saw the brews and drank freely. It was probable the best beer I can remember drinking and due in large part to the setting.
    Special Export has a "special" place in my heart. I realize it isn't what it was, but my father loved that beer until the day he died, even though he enjoyed craft beers as well. He grew up, and learned to drink in WI, and that was what you drank if you were from that region. When they had parties while I was growing up in CT, my parents always had a keg of Special Export, and when I got to my mid-teens, the first beers I was actually allowed to drink (beyond a sip) we bottles of Special Export that my Dad split with me.

The beer doesn't taste the way it used to, if you can find it, but back in the early to mid-70s, it was real beer, by comparison to the just rising National brands. Before there was craft beer, there were regional breweries. Heilemann's, Natty Bo, Yuengling, Genessee, etc. These breweries only distributed to their local region, and if you were from that region, that is what you drank, period. Each one of these beers had a different flavor profile. You could actually tell the difference between these different beers. It was that flavor profile that bred the loyalty. You learned to drink on the regional from your area, and that was the flavor you learned meant "good beer."

We are lucky today to have the great variety of beers from all over the place, and of such varied flavors. Compare a DFH to a SN beer. Doesn't matter which one, each brewery has its own flavor profile, which is more prevalent in some breweries than others. I think the breweries that have the most distinctive "house flavor" are the ones that become the rock star breweries of our time. Some more than others, but think about it. Name any of the breweries people think of a really great and you will soon realize that all the different beers from that brewery have a very similar flavor profile. Those beers out there that fit the "OK, a decent craft beer but nothing to write home about" category are missing that extra bit of "personality."

All IMHO.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast