Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St Pauli Girl revisited

Quote Originally Posted by ratman03
    It's not a wonder that this place has gone downhill so quickly. Who invited the macro-swill fanboys? Hey chief, newsflash: Bud tastes like ass, and Coors is watery corn-based swill. What's next, a deconstruction of PBR's hop aroma? GET REAL.
    I needed a laugh this morning. Thanks, rat!
    Scott

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

It's not a wonder that this place has gone downhill so quickly. Who invited the macro-swill fanboys? Hey chief, newsflash: Bud tastes like ass, and Coors is watery corn-based swill. What's next, a deconstruction of PBR's hop aroma? GET REAL.
    Was that a joke about Coors or your analysis?

I do not like the flavor of Coors, and I associated it with their yeast. I also had the urge to make one of the 'pre-prohibition' lagers with corn, but if the flavor of Coors really is the flavor of corn, then I will save the money and ingredients.

Coors is watery corn-based swill.
    Isn't Coors (Banquet) Beer a watery rice-based swill? It used to be, at least. Coors even owned a Food division that bought rice milling plants in AR and CA (later sold the California plant, IIRC - don't know about the one in Arkansas). For a time, they used to also list "starch" (without noting it's source- corn or rice) as an adjunct in some literature.
    Last edited by jesskidden; 04-18-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarkJohnny
    C'mon, everybody knows Miller is TRIPLE-HOP BREWED!
    Or is it quadruple-hopped, since the extract they use is tetra-hop extract?
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Quote Originally Posted by msk
    I have some Urquell and the barley and hop seem to be predominant.
    Directly contrasted with all the macro-swill you mention (even MGD!), where the water is predominant?

There are only 4 ingredients in REAL beer: barley, hops, water and yeast. The yeast is filtered out in most beers, and settles out in others, so if the barley and hops are not predominant, what is?
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    Directly contrasted with all the macro-swill you mention (even MGD!), where the water is predominant?

There are only 4 ingredients in REAL beer: barley, hops, water and yeast. The yeast is filtered out in most beers, and settles out in others, so if the barley and hops are not predominant, what is?
    My statement was about flavor, not just ingredients but also what happens to the final product before it arrives in your glass. If one tastes barley and hops, then one likely gets what the beverage was intended to taste like. Contrast that with something that got sun damage or heat damage that tastes like skunk or tastes like dead yeast. Though two bottles may be made of the same ingredients, the way it was transported has an impact, so one may be what the original brew master intended, while one may be nasty.

One of the absolute best reasons to make one's own is that you can get out of it what you put into it, while commercial products have that risk related to what might happen when it is in transport [or on the shelf].

Fair enough, msk... You are taking a beating, but it's not personal. It's just that many folks on this forum want to discuss REAL beer, as the name implies. If you are going to post things such as:

"I had MGD aluminum pounders from the local drug store that were awesome"

You absolutely have to expect a reaction. This is tantamount to posting about a Toyota Corolla on a Mustang forum! Really though, you should try drinking beer that actually has flavor. SNPA as "nasty bittered sourness.".... Bzzzzzzzzzz. Sorry, wrong answer. Try again.
    What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? --W.C. Fields

It's not a wonder that this place has gone downhill so quickly. .

It does seem a bit like quieter here with a lot less posts that there used to be.
    Dance to the music

Yes, RB appears to be on its death bed

Quote Originally Posted by chazwicke
    It does seem a bit like quieter here with a lot less posts that there used to be.
    Perhaps we can drive away the infidels (i.e., macro-swill fans) and bring this place back to life. Crusades are never pretty so here goes....
    What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? --W.C. Fields

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12