Thread: Star San

Star San

So I finally picked up some starsan and I love that I don't have the chlorine smell anymore. I know it says you do not have to rinse it, but when I used it to clean my bottles I ended up with a decent amount of soap looking suds that were on top of the liquid and inside the bottles. Is this normal or did I not rinse out my bucket as thoroughly as I thought? Also, does everyone actually not rinse the bottles after they have soaked? It seems odd to me that starsan sanitizes the bottle, but the leftover liquid or residue doesn't effect the beer at all.
    "You hands and feet are mangos, your gonna be a genius anyway." Phish

Bottled: a little craft beer, cider
    Keg: Belgian-ish pale ale, Sunday Morning Ale
    Primary: Imperial Cream Stout, Falconers Flight IPA
    Secondary:
    Up next: something, something good, maybe
    Down the road: some kinda sour

Quote Originally Posted by sully626
    So I finally picked up some starsan and I love that I don't have the chlorine smell anymore. I know it says you do not have to rinse it, but when I used it to clean my bottles I ended up with a decent amount of soap suds that were on to of the liquid and inside the bottles. Is this normal or did I not rinse out my bucket as thoroughly as I thought? Also, does everyone actually not rinse the bottles after they have soaked? It seems odd to me that starsan sanitizes the bottle, but the leftover liquid or residue doesn't effect the beer at all.
    Well, to my understanding, the bubbling action helps get the Starsan into all the little cracks and crevices. And when you think about the volume of Starsan in those bubbles it is actually quite small compared to the overall volume of beer. Plus, I've read that as Starsan moves out of its pH range, it turns into a nutrient for the beer's use, so that's a further reason why it won't hurt! I've bottled four batches so far, each one I used the non-rinsed bubbly bottles right away in the bottling, and I've not noticed any oddities as a result.
    -Nate
    "A thing worth doing, is worth doing right" -Hunter S. Thompson

On Deck: somethin' dark and rich...
    Primary: (open)
    Secondary: (open)
    Bottled: AG Gumball, Old Lazarus Barleywine

The star san is totally alright to use and you dont have to rinse, rinsing could possibly put some bacteria back in the bottle. So dont worry about it

1. The bubbles are normal. In fact, if you pour vigorously enough to half fill a carboy and the rest is filled with bubbles, you are sanitizing the whole thing.

2. Don't rinse. Let drain, but that is it. Don't worry about the little bit left in the bottle/carboy.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region