Thread: iodine for sanitizing???

iodine for sanitizing???

I bought a bottle of providone-iodine 10% from Wal-Mart earlier. Is this the stuff I need to use for sanitizing. Also how much do I use?
    Michael

I know Iodine is the sanitizer in Iodophor, but I am very nervous about recommending dilution strengths. Iodine IS a poison in excess amounts. The problem is that I don't know what constitutes "excess".

A far easier and safer way to go is to get a bottle of Star-San. It is food grade phosphoric acid and the easiest, most widely used sanitizer out there.
    (If you look at the ingredients on most soda pops, phosphoric acid is found there.)

HTH-
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

To add to what Brewdog said, a lot of people use Idophor which is a food grade sanitizer used in the dairy industry. It is a mixture of iodine and phosphoric acid. It works well.

Save that iodine you bought from Walmart for boo-boos.
    Somewhere on a park bench Godot is waiting on me.

Yes, I do simply walk into Mordor!

Drunken sailors: What do you do with them? Next on The View!

Thanks guys. I will make another trip.
    Michael

You can get either star san or idophor at your lhbs. if you don't have one nearby, you can find idophor at any farm supply store that has dairy supplies.

That's good to know about the dairy stores. Believe it or not this corner of New Mexico is bigtime dairy country. In fact I was thinking this morning about trying to get some used dairy equipment for fermenters.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Whats the strength and time needed to sanitize?
    Michael

It only requires a 2 minute contact, no rinsing and I use 1 cap full for 5 gal of water.

I didn't find the idophor but the beer supply store was still open. Yipie. I got some Star San.
    Michael

Cool. that is no rinse, also.

Don't fear the foam with StarSan. I know it's hard to see a huge wad of foam in the fermenter, bottle or keg but it doesn't affect the beer. Don't rinse it out, it will defeat the purpose of a no rinse sanitizer. And you don't have to fill the vessel completely, a gallon solution will sanitize a 6.5 gallon carboy by just shaking it so that the entire inside is coated. Turn it upside down so the liquid runs out and leave it alone. Same for bottles or kegs,
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Thanks bro. I appreciate the help. I have forgot so much about this hobby that I am ashamed to think about it. Is there such thing as a born again newbie?
    Michael

+1 on "Don't Fear The Foam"
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Can I change my screen name? I think "dontfearthefoam" would sum up my sanitary practices.
    Boostn--While brewing, I have a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of water and a half ounce of star san standing by. I routinely put my hands in it (OCD) and soak and scrub my gear. I don't use the 2 minute submersion method always, especially with glass carboys, I just rinse them well. Some folks like John Palmer suggest 30 seconds contact time and others just say contact is good enough. Everything I use to brew, preboil and postboil gets a star san bath either before or after the brew ritual.
    I still haven't figured out anything clever to write down here.