Thread: Alcohol for sanitation?

Alcohol for sanitation?

Hi everyone

I had just finish a honey ale from a kit and I try it yesterday and it had a sour flavor. Before I bottle my beer I had cleaned the bottles and finally i wash them with 50% water and 50% alcohol, and let it dry.

Had any one had sanitize with alcohol? Or it may be contaminated from other place.

Thanks

Alcohol is not a good sanitizer because it takes about 30 minutes to kill germs, especially when mixed with water. Iodophor or Starsan are better sanitizers because they do not have to be rinsed and they kill germs very quickly. If you can one of these sanitizers you will be better off.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    Alcohol is not a good sanitizer because it takes about 30 minutes to kill germs, especially when mixed with water. Iodophor or Starsan are better sanitizers because they do not have to be rinsed and they kill germs very quickly. If you can one of these sanitizers you will be better off.
    +1 get star san!
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

In addition, 50% alcohol is not a good ratio. IF you are going to use alcohol (and I agree with the above posts that it is a poor choice), you must use 70%. That is how it usually comes at the drug store. (Note, higher percentage is less effective.)
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Thanks for the help, I will look for the iodo option, sinse i donīt think i could get starsan in Mexico and i want to do my next beer as soon as posible, and I will wait to see how itīs going to turn out the honey beer.