Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wipes

Wipes

Are there any wipes that you could use to do a quick cleaning, or touch up, when sanitizing your brewing equipment? I am talking more in the line of wiping the mouth and neck of a carboy that may have touched something after soaking it with the sanitizer. Or if maybe that was the only part that was exposed to air after cleaning and storing it. Instead of soaking the whole thing again. And then of course, rinsing the area with water. I'm thinking lysol, clorox type wipes. Thanks.

No, no wipes. But if you use a product like Starsan you can just respray and go... no need to rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by Powhatan
    No, no wipes. But if you use a product like Starsan you can just respray and go... no need to rinse.
    +1. Spray and go with Starsan. Doesn't get any easier than that!

No wipes, ESPECIALLY not clorox. Any wipes I can think of would require rinsing afterwards.
    The 2 primary ways of doing this would be the aforementioned StarSan spray or 70% isopropyl alcohol spray. With the alcohol you could even flame the mouth of the carboy or bottle before filling, if you wanted.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

One-Step

Got the point on the wipes. I like the idea of the spray bottle, and will start using that.

My local brew store is big on "One-Step", a powder sanitizer. In my research on these forums, I haven't seen much mentioned about it. They say you don't need to rinse with it, but to me it leaves a soapy, film type feeling to whatever it cleans. So I just rinse everthing with water (my well water). I was in there today, and they said that when used with well water, that can happen. I will at least use it until this batch is gone.

I appreciate all the information from this forum. You all have been a big help. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the 1st
    Got the point on the wipes. I like the idea of the spray bottle, and will start using that.

My local brew store is big on "One-Step", a powder sanitizer. In my research on these forums, I haven't seen much mentioned about it. They say you don't need to rinse with it, but to me it leaves a soapy, film type feeling to whatever it cleans. So I just rinse everthing with water (my well water). I was in there today, and they said that when used with well water, that can happen. I will at least use it until this batch is gone.

I appreciate all the information from this forum. You all have been a big help. Thanks.
    The draw back to using onestep is that it requires soaking time. I think. I've never used it. Most on here seem to like Starsan because of the limited contact time needed. About a minute is all it takes. The foam sanitizes too so you can see it covering all your surfaces. If you use Onestep then rinse with well water, your taking the chance of the well water re-contaminating.

When you use Starsan it will leave soapy foam but don't worry about that, it's food grade and doesn't affect your beer at all. It's hard to get used to racking beer into a thick layer of suds but it is a lot better than rinsing with well water.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Well Water

What's wrong with well water? I use bottled water to brew with, at least 97% so, because I have a lot of iron in my water. But I wouldn't think it was "contaminated".

Your well water may be perfectly safe, but many wells aren't monitored closely for contaminants. Better safe than sorry. I know if I drank my well water I would probably die but it is good for watering plants.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

What's wrong with well water? I use bottled water to brew with, at least 97% so, because I have a lot of iron in my water. But I wouldn't think it was "contaminated".
    It more than likely isn't contaminated in the way your thinking, IE stuff that will poison you, BUT it will have a ton of Bacteria in it that may be completely harmless for you to ingest and even beneficial for your body BUT those same bacteria could very will make your next fine quality IPA be a fine quality MALT VINEGAR lol, hence why you should never rinse with well or even city tap water unless it has been boiled for at least 15 mins before use.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Well Water

I'm going to have to bury my head in the sand on this one for the time being. I have well water involved with all my batches. Including an Anchorage Steam I made last night. I'm hoping this well water is pretty clean. It's the only water I have in the house. Time to go back to the drawing board.

Your batches are probably OK. Any water that gets boiled is fine. You might want to pre-boil a kettle full of water the evening before the brewday. Let it cool overnight and keep that in a closed container as your source of "safe" water while brewing.

I would also recommend buying distilled water for your StarSan, as high mineral content will greatly affect StarSan's longevity.
    -Beerking

I'm going to have to bury my head in the sand on this one for the time being. I have well water involved with all my batches. Including an Anchorage Steam I made last night. I'm hoping this well water is pretty clean. It's the only water I have in the house. Time to go back to the drawing board.
    No need to go back to the drawing board,as beer king said as long as you pre boil your water it doesn't matter how many bacteria it has in it cause they are all killed by boiling.An example of this that might make you feel better is called full wort souring, its done to make some sour beers, you heat your wort to around 140,toss in a hand full of pale malt and let it set covered for up to 24 hrs, the bacteria on the grain sours the wort then you boil and ferment as normal, the boil kills the bacteria that caused the souring and prevents the beer from getting any more sour than it was when you started the boil.

If your really truly worried, i would buy yourself a few lbs of Gypsum, and add a teaspoon or 2 and use all distilled water for your brewing.But that extent really isn't needed unless you have something in your water that is toxic to you.Basically if your water is safe for you to drink, it is safe to brew with as long as you boil it beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    No need to go back to the drawing board,as beer king said as long as you pre boil your water it doesn't matter how many bacteria it has in it cause they are all killed by boiling.An example of this that might make you feel better is called full wort souring, its done to make some sour beers, you heat your wort to around 140,toss in a hand full of pale malt and let it set covered for up to 24 hrs, the bacteria on the grain sours the wort then you boil and ferment as normal, the boil kills the bacteria that caused the souring and prevents the beer from getting any more sour than it was when you started the boil.
    Vance! You've really been doing your homework! I'm impressed. There is no way you could have typed that a year ago!
    -Beerking

Quote Originally Posted by beerking
    Vance! You've really been doing your homework! I'm impressed. There is no way you could have typed that a year ago!
    Thanks a ton BK that means a lot to me coming from you!
    I owe it all to you and all the other fine home brewers here that have helped me out alone the way and answered what seemed like an endless amount of questions i had, along with a TON of reading!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast