Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wipes

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    It more than likely isn't contaminated in the way your thinking, IE stuff that will poison you, BUT it will have a ton of Bacteria in it that may be completely harmless for you to ingest and even beneficial for your body BUT those same bacteria could very will make your next fine quality IPA be a fine quality MALT VINEGAR lol, hence why you should never rinse with well or even city tap water unless it has been boiled for at least 15 mins before use.
    So, as the environmental scientist, I'll step in....

That is an excellent answer, but the malt vinegar potential out of well water is unlikely. On the other hand, the presence of bacterial that does not affect you but can spoil beer is a very real possibility in your well water. Has your well ever been chlorinated? Of course, any well water you use pre-boil is irrelevant, since boiling kills everything but some thermophiles....and they wouldn't make it in cooled water...

If you are really curious, have a bacterial culture run on your well water, they are not expensive, and you may wish to have your basic water quality tested, if you have not already. Also, I don't like the term 'contaminated' that implies that something is present from or by the action of people. Affected is a better term.

Also, be aware that high iron in your water can be a very, very bad thing for your body. If you can see a rusty color to your water, you'll want to find out the iron concentration, seriously. Google 'iron poisoning'.

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
    So, as the environmental scientist, I'll step in....

That is an excellent answer, but the malt vinegar potential out of well water is unlikely. On the other hand, the presence of bacterial that does not affect you but can spoil beer is a very real possibility in your well water. Has your well ever been chlorinated? Of course, any well water you use pre-boil is irrelevant, since boiling kills everything but some thermophiles....and they wouldn't make it in cooled water...

If you are really curious, have a bacterial culture run on your well water, they are not expensive, and you may wish to have your basic water quality tested, if you have not already. Also, I don't like the term 'contaminated' that implies that something is present from or by the action of people. Affected is a better term.

Also, be aware that high iron in your water can be a very, very bad thing for your body. If you can see a rusty color to your water, you'll want to find out the iron concentration, seriously. Google 'iron poisoning'.
    Thanks for explaining that, better than i could have lol!
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12