Thread: One Step

One Step

I see there isn't much said on One-Step on this forum. They don't carry Star San at my local Brew Store. I am pretty much sold on that stuff, so I guess will have to order it online.

I still have quite a bit of One Step left. Does anyone know what the recommended contact time is with One Step? Either 20 minutes, or 3 minutes ring a bell. I just washed, and am now soaking a bunch of bottles for my next batch. Thanks.

I get mine from Austin Homebrew and their directions say 1 minute. I usually fill a cooler with the correct proportions and let everthing set in it. I have tryed San Star, Iodine based, and others and love the one step. why use anythng else. They will sell in 6lbs packages.

Quote Originally Posted by txhomebrewer
    I get mine from Austin Homebrew and their directions say 1 minute. I usually fill a cooler with the correct proportions and let everthing set in it. I have tryed San Star, Iodine based, and others and love the one step. why use anythng else. They will sell in 6lbs packages.
    A good reason to Use something other than one step is that it really isn't "one step" if you use it to clean you have to soak,clean and DUMP that out, then mix up a fresh batch and allow the contact time for sanitation it wont do it all in "one step" That being said one step is a GREAT cleaner, but when it comes to sanitizing i will only used star san, I also have used all of the ones you listed and i have got Off flavors and contamination from all but Star san, the batches were "drinkable" but you could tell something was "off". Once i started using star san exclusively as my sanitizer that "off flavor" went away.

As far as the contact time, i would let is have a full 10-20 mins if your using One step to sanitize just to be sure, also use as hot of water as you can get.If you even want to go to the extent to Boil water and dump in it with the one step that would work too, just make sure that if you do this on a glass carboy that you warm the carboy up with warm water first or the glass will crack or shatter been there done that and it sucked!
    Last edited by vance71975; 06-13-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!