Thread: 55% ABV Beer? You've Got To Be Kidding Me

55% ABV Beer? You've Got To Be Kidding Me

55% ABV Beer? You?ve Got to Be Kidding Me...

By Jim Cohen | July 22, 2010

We knew this day was coming. Anyone who was tracking the Strongest Beers in the Universe competition felt the push towards 50%. Our last article When is a Beer Too Strong? discussed Schorschbock at 43% ABV, which at the time surpassed a slightly milder 41% ABV, Sink the Bismark. Well the boys at BrewDog have done it again, except this time it wasn?t a slight increase of 2% ABV, but 12% ABV.

Yes, boys and girls, that?s right, I said 55% ABV. The beer appropriately named ?The End of History.? To put this in context, yet again, most liquors that you drink off the shelf (Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, etc) all have a 40% ABV. At 55%, we?re entering the realm that surpasses Bicardi?s infamous 100 proof rum and the trouble that goes along with it.

BrewDog?s post on the beer today cautioned beer drinkers that this beer ?should be drank in small servings.? No kidding. The picture above is a true representation of how the beer is actually bottled. Going along with their thematic approach to making beer and serving it (recall Tactical Nuclear Penguin, for example), this beer bottle is embodied in a squirrel.

The name comes from a famous philosopher, Francis Fukuyama. Fukuyama had described the evolution of man to democracy as the end of history (for man). Similarly, the team at BrewDog considers this beer their final attempt to develop high end ABV beers (thank god). While they will continue to pursue unique beers and challenge other means brewing ? I think it?s safe to say we have a winner in the Strongest Beers in the Universe.

Do you want to try this beer? Well you?re going to have to shell out some serious dough. The beer costs ?500 for The End of History ? Stoat and ?700 for The End of History - Grey Squirrel. Currently, the BrewDog website lists the beer out of stock ? but if you find some and want to send it our way, we?d be happy to take some off your hands.

Now with BrewDog comfortably ahead, do you think Shorschbrau will retaliate?
    Holy shit! That's stronger than most hard liquors.
    ________
    COACH HANDBAGS
    Last edited by animal; 05-10-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Wow. Farging wow!
    Somewhere on a park bench Godot is waiting on me.

Yes, I do simply walk into Mordor!

Drunken sailors: What do you do with them? Next on The View!

Nope. No way no how. I am NOT drinking from a dead squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegobrew
    Nope. No way no how. I am NOT drinking from a dead squirrel.
    I'm sure it's not a real squirrel. The animal rights people would be all over that.
    ________
    Upskirts
    Last edited by animal; 05-10-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Maybe it's April 1st in some part of the world... you know, with Daylight Saving Time in effect and all that...?
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by animal
    I'm sure it's not a real squirrel. The animal rights people would be all over that.
    Not so fast!

Quote from the actually article from Brewdog brewery,

"This blond Belgian ale is infused with nettles from the Scottish Highlands and Fresh juniper berries. Only 12 bottles have been made and each comes with its own certificate and is presented in a stuffed stoat or grey squirrel. The striking packaging was created by a very talented taxidermist and all the animals used were road kill. This release is a limited run of 11 bottles, 7 stoats and 4 grey squirrels. Each ones comes with its own certificate of authenticity."

It's right above a better picture if you google and read the actual article.

Telling you, I AM NOT DRINKING FROM A DEAD SQUIRREL!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mikegobrew; 07-23-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Well you can get it in a stoat (whatever that is) or even a "Hare" I understand (there was one made) which is British for dead bunny...
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
    Well you can get it in a stoat (whatever that is) ...
    A Stoat is similar to a weasel.
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

Set it front of me and I'll drink it with a smile on my face. I don't care what you serve it in. Drinking beer and making history. I knew I was put on to this earth to do something special. Anyone have a few hundred dollars I can borrow? Brewking-I have heard of your travels-I know you're good for it!
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

Quote Originally Posted by Baacktoberfest
    Anyone have a few hundred dollars I can borrow?
    Ask the Chinese. That seems to work well enough for the government.
    ________
    Drugtest
    Last edited by animal; 05-10-2011 at 02:32 AM.

They said I can only borrow $$$ if I'm going to use it to buy oil from the Saudi Arabians. But I'll run it past them.
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA