Thread: Never had a doppelbock...

Never had a doppelbock...

I've kinda been intimidated by the brew and haven't ventured there...

What would you recommend as the first doppelbock for me to try?
    It's like a chorus of angels riding whales through space.

Two that come to mind quickly and should be easy to get are Troegs Troegenator and Ayinger Celebrator. Sam Adams makes one that is part of its imperial series, I believe, but I don't think its as good as the first two mentioned.

Another one that just came to mind is Spaten. That should be easy to find also. I am a big fan of German beers and doppelbocks are great beers.

Spaten Optimator is good, but the king of the class is the Celebrator. Both should be easy to find.
    We've been to Germany twice now, both times in the summer and dopplebocks are seasonal beers over there, not available in the summer. That really sucks since it is one of my favorite styles. We've visited who knows how many breweries in Germany, and ever time I look at a beer list there it is, but I can't have one until September. AARRRGH
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Last night I grabbed a 6 pack of Salvator by Paulaner from the package store...I couldn't get celebrator at my local place (I'm gunna look for it at this huge beer store a few towns over) but I gotta say, I'm not really diggin the Salvator...it's REALLY sweet not very refreshing.

Is this to be expected?
    It's like a chorus of angels riding whales through space.

At least it will store well until the winter or early spring. The traditional time to release bock beers (and their doppelbock big brothers) was in the spring, when the cooler weather made a stonger, sweeter beer more appealing. The heat of August is probably about the least favorable time for this style. Try it again when you have your first "it's stinkin' cold out there" experience this winter.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Also if you're a committed hophead it just may not be the style for you since hops are not a feature of D'bocks. I'm anything but a hophead, one six pack of any IPA per month is all I need, I prefer the beers that are more malt centered like bocks and wee heavy, or well balanced like a German Pilsner
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

I have to thank that old retired RB member
    from Northern Il.for getting me addicted
    to the Bock style.

I think they're good any time of the year.

Maybe it's an aquired taste as the better
    ones are pretty full flavored and can linger
    on the palete for a while and could take
    some getting used to.

Keep tryin'em, you'll like'em.
    And for those of you who really don't like beer, there's AB, Coors and MillerSAB products.

Quote Originally Posted by corysdad
    I have to thank that old retired RB member
    from Northern Il.for getting me addicted
    to the Bock style.

He who shall not be named?
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo