Thread: How long in secondary

Smile How long in secondary

I have beer that has been in secondary for over two weeks- it has slowed to one "burp" every 2 1/2 minutes- can I bottle it now?

Quote Originally Posted by AKbrewgirl
    I have beer that has been in secondary for over two weeks- it has slowed to one "burp" every 2 1/2 minutes- can I bottle it now?
    Welcome. Bottling sounds like a good idea to me. What kind of beer did you make? You really should take a gravity reading at this point to make sure it's somewhere close to the expected finishing gravity. That'll keep you safe and allow for an extra step in the event it's not fermented all the way for some whack reason.

Welcome also. How long was it in primary, and did you take a reading before you transferred it? You really shouldn't see any airlock activity once it's been in secondary a few days.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Thanks- I'll take a reading later and see if it is close. The beer is called Midas Touch- got the recipe off line- clone of Dog Fish Head beer.

Honestly, after all of the research I've read, there really isn't a need for a secondary. I've completely eliminated that after listening to the experiments on The Brewing Network, Basic Brewing Radio/Video/, and Brew Your Own Magazine.

Just my two cents.
    Currently finishing a keg of an Imperial Pumpkin Ale that I brewed for Christmas. The best Pumpkin ale I've ever had.

My only reason for going to secondary for beers that aren't going to need extended aging is so I can more quickly pitch another batch onto the yeast cake.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

That's an old, old thread. I wonder whatever happened to AKbrewgirl? If you're still out there tells us how your beer turned out.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt