Thread: Gushing Beer

Gushing Beer

So my girlfriend bought me "Sherwood Forest Archer's English-style Pale Ale" the other day after we watched "Men in Tights"...and the beer tastes pretty okay, it's fruity and malty and pretty solid. But it gushes like woah, I mean like a geyser. When I pour it into a glass it foams all the way up the glass (like 2 inches of beer and 7 inches of head)

What's wrong with it?
    It's like a chorus of angels riding whales through space.

So the girlfriend gives you [beer with] plenty of head, and you're asking what's wrong? (Had to beet the goalie to this one.)

Perhaps it was served warm, or shook up a bit. Some bottle-conditioned ales (check the label, if it is bottle-conditioned they'll boast about it, may even have a little "CAMRA approved" logo on it) also can have some foaming issues once they've made it overseas.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Well it's made by Ipswitch, I think it was a promotional type beer or something, so that's in Mass (I'm in CT). I've seen that sometimes gushing can be caused by infection, but this is a mass produced beer, I've never seen an infected or improperly cleaned bottle from any purchased beer.

But yeah, can't complain about the head....oh...wait...I mean...

but seriously, I've never seen anything like it, you crack the cap and the foam shoots 10-12 inches into the air...I get like half a glass per bottle.
    It's like a chorus of angels riding whales through space.

So the girlfriend gives you [beer with] plenty of head, and you're asking what's wrong? (Had to beet the goalie to this one.)
    Oohh man way to funny!
    On a more relavent but less awesome note: I've had something similar happen to me before awhile back. I never gave it much thought but I was instantly reminded by this post. I bought Rouge's smoked porter and it was the same deal. I would pour and -bam- 5-6 foam with little beer in it. Even after I let the bottle sit for a while and tried pouring again, same problem.
    Graduate of Geology.
    Undergraduate of Brewing.

Primary: Oudu Bruin, German Alt
    condition:TartRaspberryAle, Saison, Hefeweizen
    on deck: Hmm..