Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House Beer?

House Beer?

The thought for this thread came to me last evening as I reached into my frig for a Dinkel Acker Pils from the latest 12 pack propped in the usual spot. Ever since my neighborhood store started carrying this beer around a year and a half ago - at quite a reasonable, eye-catching price - I almost always have a half case in my refrigerator as a stand-by to the other styles and flavors I sample.

For those who have never had DA it's a typical German Pilsner brewed in Stuttgart (although, the Spaten brewery has taken over export duties for DA and the beer may now be brewed in Munich under contract). Light and hoppy crisp with a great balance of malt flavor that follows the initial hop hit. Quite the refreshing beer.

A friend of mine usually keeps a case of Paulaner Munchen as his "house beer." And another will always have Harp available - with Guinness on the side in case anyone would like a half n' half.

So that's the question: what is your "House Beer," or maybe more specifically: do you have a "House Brand?" What's that old standby that can always be found behind the door of your frig?

Steve

I can't say we have an single house beer. We do however keep a a supply of at least on of the following at all times:
    1) Black Butte Porter
    2)Full Sail Amber
    3)Bridgeport IPA

I always have some sort of American Pale Ale/IPA (or something very similar) in my fridge at all times.

Usually either Rogue Dead Guy, North Coast Red Seal, Cottonwood IPA or Flying Dog's Pale Ale.

If you're a big lager fan, you might wanna bring your own. Because it's rare that I will have those in my fridge.
    http://www.beermapping.com
    http://www.beerinator.com

Ales/Lagers it's all good.

Originally posted by beerinator
    If you're a big lager fan, you might wanna bring your own. Because it's rare that I will have those in my fridge.
    Why's that?

I like 'em all, mostly. I'll switch back and forth, depending on what I may have a taste for. Lately I've been enjoying single bottles of Young's Special London Ale, but I have the Dinkel available as a session beer.

Sort of burned out on American Pale Ales myself.

S.

I have never been a huge fan of Lagers. I enjoy them occasionally, but they have never really had a place among the staples in my beer fridge.

I order and drink them in bars, but when I'm buying beers at the store, I usually don't look at lagers and don't feel too compelled to buy them.

Like I said, one or two occasionally, might be perfect for the situation. But ales are where my favorites lay.
    Last edited by beerinator; 03-19-2003 at 03:36 PM.
    http://www.beermapping.com
    http://www.beerinator.com

Depends on the season for me, but I always have Guiness on hand. In the summertime I'll have some lighter stuff, usually some wheat beers. Fall & winter I'll usually have either Hacker or Spaten.

I've loved Dinkel since 1981, when I spent the summer near Stuttgart with my then girlfriend/now wife's family. Her dad was an army guy & they were stationed over there. Dinkel was one of the popular beers at the little tavern just off the base. Sucked down a bunch of them. The other popular beer there was called Schwabenbrau (not sure if I spelled it correctly). It was VERY heavy & very strong. When I came home, drinking the junk here was like drinking dirty water. My thoughts have never changed on that.
    I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride.

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

Very easy to find. Less inexpensive than any other good beer here (Manhattan). Quite hoppy, 40 IBUs, 6.9abv.

My beer depends on the season also. In the winter I generally have either Mackeson triple Stout or Spaten Optimator. In the spring I lean towards browns, it used to be Newcastle but the distributor here has raised the price so much that it is next to impossible to find a six pack that has not turned skunky from sitting on the shelf so long, so now I am trying different browns until I find one that stands out from the rest. In the summer it Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. And in the I go back and forth between stouts and browns. Those are my mainstays but I do try to put something different in my fridge at least twice a month.

b3s Guest

no house beer here

we don't have a house beer. when i go to the purveyor of malty goodness i look for a decent microbrew/craft (style depending on mood). if i don't find something that i like, then one of the popular english pales (bass, london pride, etc.) and an 8-pack of guiness draught cans seems to find its way to the cash register.

Goose Island IPA

58 I.B.U. and only $5.99 at my local liqour store.

Goose Island IPA is always in my fridge. As far as house beers go, I prefer the term "house breweries". As has been discussed, tastes tend to change a bit with the seasons, so there are numerous house beers throughout the year. The most common breweries I keep handy are Goose Island, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Boulevard, and Anchor. There is always an import or two handy as well. I've been accused of making it too hard to decide what to drink when friends come by. The selection is always changing.
    Prost!
    Todd
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Yeah, that's a great point on "house breweries". My favorite, or at least what I seem to buy the most of, are the following; Goose Island, Kalamazoo (Bell's), Great Lakes, Anchor, and Sierra Nevada.

If only I could get Bell's and Great Lakes in KS...they would be regulars in the rotation. Heading to Chicago in a couple days...bringin' a bunch of Bell's back with me.
    Prost!
    Todd
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

My daily house brew would have to be Redhook or Guinness depending on my mood. I also have been drinking alot of Scuttlebutt Barley Wine & Rogue Dead Guy Ale this winter & my other staple is of course Homebrew...the nectar of the gods.

Have A Great Day
    Beer Is Food For The Soul---Blev

There always seems to be Tempe's Four Peaks Brewery's Kiltlifter in there. A smoky, peaty Scottish ale that I just haven't been able to burn myself out on yet.
    New Belgium's Bier de Mars is giving it a run for it's money right now, I'm on my second case in less than a month.
    -C
    Tune in to The Beer Show at www.knotradio.org
    Thursdays 4-7pac & az, 5-8mnt, 6-9cnt, 7-10est

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast