Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House Beer?

cool weather constant: wild goose oatmeal stout.
    warm weather wegular: tuppers hop pocket ale.
    but, of course, there is an ever-changing cast of old and new favorites to make ones' beer drinking life more interesting.

House beer ?

I live in beer hell (Columbus Georgia.) Only a few larger liquor stores have quality micros, so one of my mainstays is Harp Lager, though it's far from my top choice.

I have to stock up on my favorite beer (Sweetwater Exodus Porter from Sweetwater Brewery Atlanta Ga.) when I visit family there. Though it is only 90 miles away, I can't get it here. : /

Bryant

Re: no house beer here

we don't have a house beer. when i go to the purveyor of malty goodness i look for a decent microbrew/craft (style depending on mood).

-snip-

there are two times in your life when you drink cheap beer...when you're too young to know any better and when your too broke to afford any better.

I like your sig, but I have to say if they made a Keystone Ice in a bottle instead of a "specially lined can" I might buy it once in a while. I have to try new beers, so I tried all of the Keystone stuff when it came out (or was distributed in my area anyway.) I knew I would just hate the Keystone Ice because I don't like the metallic taste cans give beer nor do I care for the ice brewed beers, but considering those factors and the fact they produce millions of gallons of that stuff a minute (well not really>:P~) I actually found it to be easily one of the better lower shelf brews I have tried.

Bryant

I perfer Hacker Pschorr Weisse. I just cant stop drinking it. Ive been drinking since I was 19. When a friend of mine I known who I mind you is 54 years old told me about this German beer, I said ok let me try one, It was called Hacker Pschorr Weisse in 1pint .9fl.oz bottles and a dark bottle too, so I drank one. I said this sure gives you a taste in your mouth and makes you want to drink more. And now that Im 28. I still love this beer. One night I had NO LIE, I had 12 of these Hackers. Man I was drunk alright. This is a beer all the time not matter if its sprint, summer, fall or winter I still drink this beer, and keep in the house at all times. But love to make a clone beer of Hacker. And Hacker sure has been around a longtime since 1417. Ive new at brewing beer at home on my 2nd beer. Havent had the chance to drink my first yet because its in the bottleing stage. 2 more weeks and I can drink my Beligian Ale. A 1 month 2 week age processing beer. And Im on the secondary stage in secondary fermenation with a clone Samuel Adams Boston Lager, it sure is coming along good. I will be bottling it Tuesday, then wait 1 month before I can drink it. Then this Wednesday I want to try Hacker clone but I cant find one yet. Well I thought I would put my two cents worth in on which beer I drink.

haaker makes some great stuff... along those lines, check out weistephaner's dunkel weiss, that bad boy is awesome.
    anyways, i had to edit and revise my house beer choice this past week... sam's club started carrying the sierra nevada pale for $18.67 a case... new house beer right there, jack. cheap beer just doesn't get any better than that.
    Tune in to The Beer Show at www.knotradio.org
    Thursdays 4-7pac & az, 5-8mnt, 6-9cnt, 7-10est

Hmmm...

A regular "house beer" doesn't really exist around here. I tend toward the stouts in winter and the pale ales in summer.

I really love the Tadcaster Oatmeal Stout when I can get it, but it is a 40 mile drive to the store that carries it.

I try to find a new beer every chance I get. I've been drinking the IPAs lately, since my first batch of homebrew (pitched about 1-1/2 hours ago) is a John Bull kit for IPA. I think the beer that I have most recently gone out of my way to find and purchase again is Capital Brewery's "Fest". It is a seasonal offering running from May through July. I love it, especially served around 60 degrees.

www.capital-brewery.com/ourbeer.htm

Being in the Midwest, I have a couple of good, semi-local, house beers in the basement most of the time:

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
    Bell's Amber (and Oberon in the Summer)
    Goose Island Honker's Ale

It's a good start...

Great Lakes

Originally posted by hops99
    Being in the Midwest, I have a couple of good, semi-local, house beers in the basement most of the time:

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
    Bell's Amber (and Oberon in the Summer)
    Goose Island Honker's Ale

It's a good start...
    How is the GL Dortmunder Gold? I found GL beers in a small store in the northern 'burbs of Chicago yesterday, but I passed up the Gold for the Eliot Ness Amber.

Mmmm - O-ber-on!

S.

GL Dort is a terrific "every-day" beer. While the Eliot Ness is wonderfully smoky and malty, the Dort is a clean, slightly hoppy, slightly buttery lager. I consider "house beers" to be those beers that you'd likely have every day - a beer after you get home from work, a beer while you clean out the garage, or a beer you'd have on hand if the guys come over to watch the game.

An example illustrating the anti-house beer would be the New Glarus Belgian Red. I love this beer (and sadly, Sam's in Chicago doesn't carry New Glarus anymore, so my occassional 3 1/2 hour trek to Chicago isn't the same without New Glarus anymore), but it's not something that I'd have every day. I save it for special events; I might pop open a bottle every month or two...

Oh, and Oberon is probably my most-consumed brew between now and Labor Day (it's out, I just saw the new batch at my local store last week).

Bill

In 'da House

Originally posted by hops99
    GL Dort is a terrific "every-day" beer. While the Eliot Ness is wonderfully smoky and malty, the Dort is a clean, slightly hoppy, slightly buttery lager. I consider "house beers" to be those beers that you'd likely have every day - a beer after you get home from work, a beer while you clean out the garage, or a beer you'd have on hand if the guys come over to watch the game.
    You hit the (my) definition right on the head.

I'm guessing the 3 1/2 hour trek into Chicago must be from the (s)east, south, or west - otherwise you'd be able to find New Glarus in plentiful amounts. Schaffer's in Evanston is where I found the Great Lakes - and they still had a decent supply of the NG beers.

Have you seen the Oberon on tap? The Map Room usually has it - and I may hit Quencher's for some music on Saturday - they may have it. Of course, Oberon with 3 inches of snow and a crusty ice topping on the ground might not be the same - need that 95 degree June in Lansing of last year!

Mmm - OH-ber-on!

S.

I've had to begin stockpiling my house beer in the middle of January each year. My house beer is Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Most people think that it is too tough for a hot summer's day, but the level of hops is enough to still be refreshing. I have a keg of it on tap, and I have about 4 cases to cover me until November when it is available again.

My house beer depends on what I have been brewing. It is always my home brew. I always have a keg in the fridge out in the garage. Occasionally, I will pop a six of something in the fridge when I am in the mood for another style. At the present time I have a stout and an IPA in there. On deck is a strong amber and something I am referring to as "Kitchen Sink".
    Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to use sarcasm.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/ressa7ry/mikesbewhouse/

Goose Island is good. They scored points with my kid by offering soda, he likes the root beer.

house beer

the bastard dominates my fridge! in an arrogant kind of way.
    LONG LIVE THE BASTARD!!!.......BELCH!

I also have a hard time declaring a house beer,
    but you could always find one of the following in
    my fridge at any given time:
    SNPA
    Victory HopDevil
    Dog Fish Head Shelter Pale

...so i'd have to say that a decent APA/IPA would
    be the closest i could come to having a house beer.

I wish I could find the Bastard in NJ!
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast