Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House Beer?

1) New Glarus "Hop Hearty" IPA
    2) Three Floyd's "Alpha King"
    3) Guiness Stout
    4) homebrew of some sort

I always have some of each of those in the fridge.

...and for the ladies, some Bud light, no matter how much it repulses me.

House beer for me would have to be any of the homebrews that I make on a regular basis. Other than that, brand wise, I really love Bass Ale. (Newcastle as well, but never from bottles, only draught)

Originally posted by homebrewaddict
    I really love Bass Ale. (Newcastle as well, but never from bottles, only draught)
    Oh gosh...don't let Richard hear you!!

S.

House Brand

Hmmm, beer is like music to me. I always want something different depending on mood, what I'm eating, etc. I tend to heavily dislike most lagers and rarely purchase them. Ales, porters, and stouts make up my alcoholic arsenal. I do, however, find that I have some dunkel in my fridge quite a bit. Warsteiner Dunkel is something like the bastard daughter of an ale and a porter to me and it tends to be pleasing to the palate most times. It is by no means a stellar beer, but, yeah, it probably is the house brand. Great question, by the way......
    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."
    -Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

b3s Guest
    well, my house beer still remains either my homebrew or guinness draught cans...speaking of...i've gone on a 10 week abstinence of guinness, during which time i've had one can of the draught tormenting me...i swore i would not drink it until i found a job.

i start at sun microsystems next monday. i'm drinking my first guinness in 10 weeks right now...life is looking up

b3s Guest
    Originally posted by steveh
    Oh gosh...don't let Richard hear you!! S.
    heh...the kind of beer you like is the kind you should drink, regardless of anyone elses opinion.

at least he didn't say bud!

Originally posted by b3s
    i start at sun microsystems next monday. i'm drinking my first guinness in 10 weeks right now...life is looking up
    Congratulations and cheers!

S.

I would say the house beer much like my favorite beer is the one I am drinking at that moment. I keep a rather ecclectic supply of beer in the cooler. Runs the range because one never knows what mood you might be in at a particular moment.

I usually have a corny or two of something from the pub, a case or three of something from Boulevard (my wife likes the Pale & Zon) as well as some stuff I have sent from friends stationed in Europe.

I'd have to say Sierra Nevada Pale Ale--always there. A lot of the beers mentioned above are there from time to time, but always there? Only SNPA though both BridgePort IPA and Odell's Cutthroat Pale Ale have been nearly always in there over the last 2 years or so.

Since my first trip to England in March, and as a result of my entree into homebrewing, there is usually a pint (plus) bottle (or three) of bitter--usually Young's Ramrod, cheaper than the Fuller's ESB or the London Pride. Justification for buying $2.99 pints was I needed pint bottles for homebrew, though SWMBO saw through that pretty quickly, esp. when I bought the corny kegs and the CO2 tank....I'm mostly kegging, but it's a lot easier to bottle, say, 8 17-19 oz bottles w/ the excess, than 12 12 oz bottles....

Quote Originally Posted by steveh View Post
    The thought for this thread came to me last evening as I reached into my frig for a Dinkel Acker Pils from the latest 12 pack propped in the usual spot. Ever since my neighborhood store started carrying this beer around a year and a half ago - at quite a reasonable, eye-catching price - I almost always have a half case in my refrigerator as a stand-by to the other styles and flavors I sample.

For those who have never had DA it's a typical German Pilsner brewed in Stuttgart (although, the Spaten brewery has taken over export duties for DA and the beer may now be brewed in Munich under contract). Light and hoppy crisp with a great balance of malt flavor that follows the initial hop hit. Quite the refreshing beer.

A friend of mine usually keeps a case of Paulaner Munchen as his "house beer." And another will always have Harp available - with Guinness on the side in case anyone would like a half n' half.

So that's the question: what is your "House Beer," or maybe more specifically: do you have a "House Brand?" What's that old standby that can always be found behind the door of your frig?

Steve
    That does sound tasty, I'll have to try it!!

All right, I know everyone's going to laugh at me, but I do have a "house beer," and it's Labatt Blue!! (And sometimes I even buy it in cans, or by the keg!!)

Now, before you go crazy, I have a couple of good reasons. The first would be that I feel the purpose of a "house beer" is to be a beer that I can just grab and drink while relaxing, paying bills, playing guitar, watching Family Guy, eating mainstream delivery, and/or frozen pizza, doing minor repairs on the house, heck, even brewing!!

The point here is that if I'm more focused on my task at hand, and not so much on all the minute details of the beer, I'm not missing a whole lot. Blue is still pretty tasty, and provides the nice cold bubbly feeling that I drink "house beer" for, but doesn't require my complete attention to enjoy, nor is it filling me up with as many empty calories while I'm not really even thoroughly "enjoying" the beer. Labatt Blue has done just fine on its own in giving me a nice beer gut, so I definitely don't need a more caloric beer to drink when I'm just taking it easy and "not drinking."

In addition, Labatt Blue was one of the first beers I got into drinking way back in the day, and it's just got this one note about it's taste that I can't quite put my finger on, but I really like it, have found it in no other beers, and I guess in a way, it kind of comforts me, as it takes me back to the good old days.

To avoid being stuck with a five pack or more of beer that I don't like, I do most of my new beer sampling in bars, so I can just have one at a time, and taste multiple new beers in one outing. I also feel that the atmosphere is part of enjoying a good beer, so when I'm just putzing around at home, with no real atmosphere, I'll just grab something more basic, and it's usually my Labatt Blue.
    Last edited by Botoole560; 09-30-2014 at 04:37 PM.

As was stated in the thread, your house beer should be what you choose. What you like.

I cannot say that I have a single house beer, as I have a fridge that is filled with nothing but beer. I try to keep all types represented, as I never know what "hankering" may hit me.

However, there are some beers that tend to be "frequent offenders." Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one. Along with, but not limited to, SN Summer Stock, Karbach's Hopadillo, Murphy's Irish Stout, Firestone's DBA, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (Oh, how I miss Young's Oatmeal), and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. These beers represent my "go to beers" more than any others. They are beers that I pretty much must have at all times in the fridge.
    Scott

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

Again, it was nice to read a thread that involved many of the members of Real Beer's Golden Age.
    Scott

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123