Thread: Temperature Control

Temperature Control

Hey everyone, just got myself a chest freezer, fridge, and temp controller for my home brewery. I'm not really sure what's going on, but I'm having trouble controlling the temp at higher levels now. The ambient temperature in my garage is around 50 F, and my storage devices will not raise above that. Is this due to the temperature in my garage, and secondly, if I put a fermentor in there, will it generate enough heat to enable the controller to turn on? Do I need to get a heat wrap? Trying to brew on Sunday...so any help before then would be great.

If you're trying to raise the temp you have to have something to add heat. The fermentation may do it for a day but something like a brewbelt is better.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

I'd go with a fermwrap instead of a brewbelt. it distributes heat more evenly than the brewbelt, and it is fine for carboys. They don't recommend the brewbelt for carboys (I guess the more concentrated heat can crack the glass).

HTH-
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo