Thread: Proper Cleaning Techniques

Proper Cleaning Techniques

I rinse my bottles with water after use, then set on a drying rack until next brew. I have been using the Iodophor solution in a fermenting bucket rinsing each bottle in it then rinsing with water then filling.
    I submerge my siphon hose, airlocks and bottle wands in this solution for a few minuites then rinse.
    I then use a dedicated soft sponge to clean the inside of the fermenter and lid, then I rinse before I fill with wort.
    Is it ok to use bleach instead of Iodophor?

I was also told to start using vodka instead of water in the airlock.

I just wanted to feel safe about my cleaning techniques, so please critique!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplemintz
    I rinse my bottles with water after use, then set on a drying rack until next brew. I have been using the Iodophor solution in a fermenting bucket rinsing each bottle in it then rinsing with water then filling.
    I submerge my siphon hose, airlocks and bottle wands in this solution for a few minuites then rinse.
    I then use a dedicated soft sponge to clean the inside of the fermenter and lid, then I rinse before I fill with wort.
    Is it ok to use bleach instead of Iodophor?

I was also told to start using vodka instead of water in the airlock.

I just wanted to feel safe about my cleaning techniques, so please critique!
    Only see two problems. First Iodophor requires at least 2 mins contact time, as do most sanitizers, so i would Skip Iodophor and start using Star San, i personally have noticed an improvement since i switched. Also Soak the bottles in star San at least 5 mins.

Don't use bleach, it needs a 20 min soak and requires rinsing. Again use Star San on your fermenter. Vodka is fine in an air lock, so is water, So is some pre mixed Star San, So is glycerin(and it wont evaporate)
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

+1 to Vance. StarSan or nothing! Well...maybe not "nothing", but you get the idea. The stuff is ridiculously useful, and if you put some in a spray bottle you can use it for on-the-fly sanitizing EVERYWHERE. Say you accidentally touch the bottling wand during filling, spritz it, and you're good to go!.
    -Nate
    "A thing worth doing, is worth doing right" -Hunter S. Thompson

On Deck: somethin' dark and rich...
    Primary: (open)
    Secondary: (open)
    Bottled: AG Gumball, Old Lazarus Barleywine