Thread: Mash Tun pH

Arrow Mash Tun pH

Our City water supply has a pH of 8.2. I titrate the hot water in the mash tun down to pH5.0 to pH 5.2 with food grade phosphoric acid.
    After I add the grist, the pH jumps to 7.2 - 7.4.

What can be done to get the mash tun pH in the recommended range of pH 5.2? Start with a lower pH in the foundation water??

Camrosebrewer

Quote Originally Posted by camrosebrewer
    Our City water supply has a pH of 8.2. I titrate the hot water in the mash tun down to pH5.0 to pH 5.2 with food grade phosphoric acid.
    After I add the grist, the pH jumps to 7.2 - 7.4.

What can be done to get the mash tun pH in the recommended range of pH 5.2? Start with a lower pH in the foundation water??

Camrosebrewer

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/5-2-mash-stabilizer.html

that should do the trick.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

pH is really a small part of the picture. A decent barley AG grist ought to get most tap or well waters pretty close to ~5.2. If you dough in and the pH only drops to ~7, you've got some serious alkaline buffering going on. Get an analysis of the H2O you're using, you may want to consider cutting it with some distilled water to get to a decent proportion of minerals. If this is municipal tap water, call the water dept., ask for the chemist, explain you want the typical ranges for the most of the common minerals. they will probably be about ready to talk your ear off because someone finally called that cares about what they do for a living. If it's a well, you'll have to pay for it, but in your case it sounds like it will be information you really should have. In the meantime brew some beers with lots of dark/roasted grain.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia