Thread: transporting beer

transporting beer

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I will be moving in a couple of months and have beer aging in 3 different 5 gallon oak kegs. I'm thinking it would be better to go ahead and keg/bottle these as opposed to try and transport them in oak kegs as it will be about an 1 1/2 hour drive. I can rinse the oak kegs and let them drip dry.

I've never done this before, these kegs have had beer in them continually since I've had them which dates back to '07. Part of me doesn't want to upset the system, as I really like the character that I'm still at this point getting from the oak.
    respect a man's beer & the man respects you.

why do you not want to just leave the beer in them? Are you worried about spillage, temperature or just sloshing up the junk on the bottom?
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

I'm concerned with the spillage issue. Back of a pickup truck going 60 mph. . .

I'm thinking it would be better for the beer and the kegs to be emptied. .. .

when I go to bottle/keg from these, i always have to use a pipe wrench to break the bungs free . . . so they may be okay to transport as is. . .

spillage is only 1 part of the issue. . .there is also vibrational and oxidation issues. The longer beer sits in oak, some evaporation takes place leaving head space, which if stationary does not typically become an issue. Being sloshed around may be a different matter. . .