Thread: DIY Mash Tun

DIY Mash Tun

Do the Igloo conversion kits only work with Igloo coolers or will they work in any standard cylinder cooler like this one from Rubbermaid? Bought myself a turkey fryer and I've been getting the itch to try AG brewing.

Pretty sure it will work? I have a rectangle cooler with a copper manifold tho so i am not 100%.
    Drinking:Hydrometer sample.
    Up next: Gumballhead clone,Surly Furious Clone
    Primary:Scottish120/?,Simco/Warrior Red, Dogfish 90min Clone.
    Secondary:nadda
    Bottle conditioning:Belgian Imperial Stout,Wee heavy Bottled:Olde Ale,IPA,APA Black IPA steam beer.

Do your self a favor and just go with the 10 gallon one. You will thank me later. I started out with two 5 gallon coolers and soon had to up size the mash tun to a ten gallon one for bigger mashes required in a lot of recipes. Still use one 5 gallon HTL with pretty good results. Wished I would have just started out with the 10 gallon MT instead of wasted $$ on the 5 gallon one. That's my humble opinion!
    Brewer of Anitac Brewing Co.

On Tap: :(
    Primary: Honey & Spice Wheat; 3 C's American PA; Red Hot Blond
    Secondary: Wheat Ale II; Imperial Blond
    Bottled: Cherokee Nation
    On Deck: ESB

Quote Originally Posted by Red T
    Do your self a favor and just go with the 10 gallon one. You will thank me later. I started out with two 5 gallon coolers and soon had to up size the mash tun to a ten gallon one for bigger mashes required in a lot of recipes. Still use one 5 gallon HTL with pretty good results. Wished I would have just started out with the 10 gallon MT instead of wasted $$ on the 5 gallon one. That's my humble opinion!
    +1 all i had access to when i build my mash tun was a 5g round cooler, If you can get a 10g your better off to start with a 10g mash tun, cause trust me anything over about 13lbs of grain in a 5g cooler just does not work.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

OK, well then I guess I can amend my original post to this:

Will a standard Igloo mash tun conversion kit work with a non-Igloo cooler like this? I agree that I should probably just spend the money on the extra 5-gallon capacity. I don't normally brew really big beers (barleywines, wee heavys, etc.) but I should keep my options open. My main issue is how to convert it if most of the conversion kits say they are for Igloo coolers. Does they refer to Igloo generically, like one might say "band-aid" or "kleenex" or is there really an issue with the size of the valve?

Quote Originally Posted by safletcher
    OK, well then I guess I can amend my original post to this:

Will a standard Igloo mash tun conversion kit work with a non-Igloo cooler like this? I agree that I should probably just spend the money on the extra 5-gallon capacity. I don't normally brew really big beers (barleywines, wee heavys, etc.) but I should keep my options open. My main issue is how to convert it if most of the conversion kits say they are for Igloo coolers. Does they refer to Igloo generically, like one might say "band-aid" or "kleenex" or is there really an issue with the size of the valve?

You may if your a do it your self guy choose to not go with a standard conversion kit and go with something like this video shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZdY...eature=related
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

You could follow Vance or yes I have that exact cooler from Home Depot. I use it quiet a bit. And you don't have to be making BIG beer to want the extra capacity. Some recipes just require more grain and you will want the extra room. Also when you sparge you will appreciate the space.
    Brewer of Anitac Brewing Co.

On Tap: :(
    Primary: Honey & Spice Wheat; 3 C's American PA; Red Hot Blond
    Secondary: Wheat Ale II; Imperial Blond
    Bottled: Cherokee Nation
    On Deck: ESB

I don't believe all the false bottom "conversion kits" are the same fit. This one will work for the last link you asked about.
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...se-bottom.html

Personally I like the false bottom option better. You can get good results with a manifold, but false bottom will vector better. Meaning the flow of sugary wort will be more consistent as there are less dead spots that don't get picked up by a manifold.

The other reason I don't like the manifolds is they are harder to clean the inside, especially if you solder them together like in the video. If you don't solder them, they can come apart during the mash or sparge. Every so often I clean the insides of the tubes on false bottom pickup tube to remove build up.

+1. One of my guidelines is when you want to do things right, use what the pros use. A little bit extra to get the right tools or equipment is more often than not well worth it.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

I've never tried a manifold, I've always used the bucket in buckett method. Inner bucket has bottom peppered with holes, outer bucket has spout or hooked to a pump. I use 20 gallon food storage bins for mine . . should have upgraded to 30 gallon years ago.
    respect a man's beer & the man respects you.