Thread: Danes, Danish and Beers

Danes, Danish and Beers

So my Girlfriend is doing a month abroad in Copenhagen ( + vacation in Central France) and she requested I find her all of the beers she MUST try while in Copenhagen....but I don't know anything about Danish beer other than Carlsberg...and Aass? but I think that's Finnish anyway....

Any suggestions?

What about France?

I've never left the country (USA ALL THE WAY) so I don't really know what to recommend other than stuff I've had in the US.

Thanks guys!
    It's like a chorus of angels riding whales through space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronathon
    So my Girlfriend is doing a month abroad in Copenhagen ( + vacation in Central France) and she requested I find her all of the beers she MUST try while in Copenhagen....but I don't know anything about Danish beer other than Carlsberg...and Aass? but I think that's Finnish anyway....

Any suggestions?

What about France?

I've never left the country (USA ALL THE WAY) so I don't really know what to recommend other than stuff I've had in the US.

Thanks guys!
    My Best advice is find Local Brew pubs or Brewerys with tours and tastings, If all else fails walk in to a local bar and ask for a sampling of locally made beers, explain
    that your an American and would like to try native beers, most places should be more than willing to help you out!
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

I spent the last semester in Copenhagen, which was great. Of course you have to drink the carlsberg. Another one that is in all bars is Carl's Special, which is a darker lager, pretty good for a "cheaper" beer. My favorite brewery was Nørrebro Bryghus, which is in Nørrebro, the neighborhood I lived in (and pretty close to the city center). Ale No. 16 from Bryggeriet Refsvindinge is good. Carlsberg also has a "microbrewery" division called Jacobsen that makes some really good beers, I like the Saaz Blonde the most. If looking for good bars, my favorites are ølbaren, which is in Nørrebro, and Lord Nelson's, which is in the center of the city. Both are good beer bars with constantly changing microbrews from around the world, and knowledgeable bartenders. Ølbaren even has some beers on tap that they make themselves, and Lord Nelson's has and IPA made just for them by a nearby brewery, only on tap at the bar.

I know that it's a little late, but Danish Beer enthusiasts have a long list of good pubs in Denmark:

http://www.ale.dk/index.php?id=86

Even if You can't Danish, there are addresses and web links for all pubs

dino2011

Tuborg's good. Aass is Norwegian actually, not Finnish- I've had a few of those.

As for France, there's Fischer Amber, La Belle Strasbourgesie, and Kronenbourg.