Thread: Lager malts in a Wit?

Lager malts in a Wit?

I spent some time looking over some common ideas for Hefeweisens and Wit beers. I noticed many of these use a 50/50 split of Wheat Malt and Lager Malts, with a bit of carapils or crystal in there. I enjoy a good Oberon from time to time, and just about every recipe has it with Lager malt. What can I expect from using lager malt with my wheat beer?
    What about orange peel, coriander, and cinnamon sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplemintz
    I spent some time looking over some common ideas for Hefeweisens and Wit beers. I noticed many of these use a 50/50 split of Wheat Malt and Lager Malts, with a bit of carapils or crystal in there. I enjoy a good Oberon from time to time, and just about every recipe has it with Lager malt. What can I expect from using lager malt with my wheat beer?
    What about orange peel, coriander, and cinnamon sticks?

2 row,6 row, lager malt, or pale malt is often used with wheat malt for a couple reasons, it helps with conversion(wheat will self convert but will do little to convert any other grains added) and to help with run off. That being said, i have done many fine wheat and rye beers using 100% wheat or rye malt. The key to using them for 100% of the grain bill is rice hulls, LOTS AND LOTS of rice hulls. I normally do a 1lb rice hulls for every 3 lbs wheat or rye malt, and i have never had a stuck sparge.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Pilsner Malt/Lager Malt tends to be a bit "corney" tasting. Extending the Boil to 90 minutes helps to avoid this. You'll also get a much lighter, clear, clean beer (depending on the yeast) using Pilsner instead of 2 row or 6 row as your base.
    I prefer sticking with 2 row mostly because of price, but i have used pilsner in the past.

Wheat doesnt have a husk, so most home brewers go no higher than 50% to avoid stuck sparges. I have done 60% with no problems using a half pound of rice hulls. At 50% all you'll need is a half pound of rice hulls. Each 10% increment i would bump the rice hulls another half pound. Rice hulls go a very long way. You dont need much.

I havnt done a wit yet so i have no advice on the Peel, coriander, or Cinn.
    Bottled - Saison
    Fermenter - Belgian Pale Ale
    Secondary -
    On Deck -
    Future Brew -

I brewed this today: I found it rather pale milky in color I asume this was the Lager malts.

4lbs Wheat
    4lbs Lager
    8 oz Carapils
    .5 oz Hallertauer 60 min
    sweeet orange peel and 2 cinnnamon sticks 15 min
    Wyeast 3333

O.G. was 1.052
    Last edited by Rumplemintz; 06-30-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplemintz
    I brewed this today: I found it rather pale milky in color I asume this was the Lager malts.

4lbs Wheat
    4lbs Lager
    8 oz Carapils
    .5 oz Hallertauer 60 min
    sweeet orange peel and 2 cinnnamon sticks 15 min
    Wyeast 3333

O.G. was 1.052
    Actually that would be the Wheat Malt more specifically the protein in the wheat malt.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!