Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Porter vs. Stout

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplemintz
    I enjoy the way we get diverse opinions in here.
    I think I may scale back on the Darks a bit for that seems to be a common theme.
    I will shoot for a 15-18 lb grain bill. I hope to have a big porter with a hoppy but balanced flavor and a 7-8% abv.

Vance I am a bit confused with your batch size of 5gal. boil size of 8 gal. and boil time of 60 min?
    How are you reaching 5 gals. in only 60 min?

I do my boil outside, and i always seem to come in about dead on when i start with 8 gallons, feel free to adjust the starting gallons to your system.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Rump, you also have to take into account for loss in the mash tun, boil kettle, hop absobption and fermenter(s). I think most of us shoot for 5.5 gallons of finished beer to make sure you really end up with 5 gallons. I go for ~13.5 gallons for a 10 gallon batch, and would also use 8 for a 5 gallon batch.

Oh sorry Vance, I thought you collected 8 gallons, then began your boil.
    I have been starting my boil with 7 gallons and averaging 90 min. to get my 5.5 gallons.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I was referring to collecting 8 gallons then beginning the boil.

Oh sorry Vance, I thought you collected 8 gallons, then began your boil.
    I have been starting my boil with 7 gallons and averaging 90 min. to get my 5.5 gallons.
    No worries man, I do collect 8 and then start my boil, i never have a lid on, and i do my boil Outside,

I know it seems a lot, but that jet engine i call a burner really cranks one heck of a boil! lol
    Last edited by vance71975; 08-22-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Wow, I use an 11 gallon pot and a simple turkey fryer burner. I can hardly get my boil aggressive enough for that kind of evaporation without boiling over!
    Maybe I just need to spring for a bigger pot?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Wow, I use an 11 gallon pot and a simple turkey fryer burner. I can hardly get my boil aggressive enough for that kind of evaporation without boiling over!
    Maybe I just need to spring for a bigger pot?
    I do use a WIDE 20g pot, which has a lot of surface area, prolly why i get the evaporation that i do.My burner is something like 110,000 btu so i get great boils.

I am with Mike on the 13.5 gals. of collected wort for a 10 gal. batch. Sometimes I am a bit above or below the 13.5 but it all whittles down the same way with absorption, evaporation, etc. for a 10 gallon batch.

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    I do use a WIDE 20g pot, which has a lot of surface area, prolly why i get the evaporation that i do.My burner is something like 110,000 btu so i get great boils.
    what kind of burner do you have? i have a steel framed cart i want to convert to a brew stand but don't know what kind of burner to get to ensure I get a good rolling boil.

DC

I think the only difference to me on Porters and Stouts is that I don't hop my stouts as much. My stouts also tend to have a heavier body than my porters. Just my two cents worth

I might agree with that analysis. Most stouts I enjoy are very balanced, while they may be high in IBU's but smooth . My favorite porters lean towards the bitter side. I have this thing about dark beers in that I prefer them bigger like 8-12 abv.

Quote Originally Posted by deafcone
    what kind of burner do you have? i have a steel framed cart i want to convert to a brew stand but don't know what kind of burner to get to ensure I get a good rolling boil.

DC

Don't remember the brand off hand, it was the cheapest 110,000 btu i could find.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123