Thread: carboy

carboy

now, we've all had chats here on how to clean this, that and the other thing. I had quite the experience cleaning a carboy last night.
    I've got a Bass Pale Ale clone in primary right now.. went and grabbed a carboy to get it cleaned up and ready.. as I carried the carboy up the stairs, I was thinking to myself "gosh, what's that smell?"
    well, ok, I wasn't using the term "gosh" but I'm trying to keep it family friendly here.
    I look down at the carboy, and there, curled up in the edge of the bottom?
    a crusty, shriveled dead mouse.

I scraped the mouse out with a piece of threaded rod, dumped the remains outside..and I tried every cleaner I had. Amazing how that stench will linger. I tried, dish soap, PBW, bleach, some purple crap I found under the sink, nothing has gotten rid of the smell.

The only good thing to come of it all, is that I now have a name for my brewery as suggested by a friend: Rat Bastard (yea yea.. it was a mouse, but Mouse Bastard doesn't sound as good)

picking up a new carboy today

I'm guessing you tried soaking the thing with bleach?
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)

I was helping a buddy clean bottles that had been stored in my barn. We threw out at last a dozen that had mice in various stages of decomposition, everything from freshly dead to mummified. But i don't think I'd give up on a carboy so easily. I think a couple of days with a strong bleach solution would take care of it. Maybe the stench is mostly psychological?
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Heat. Raise the temperature to about 500 F slowly, turn off the oven and let the temp return to ambient without opening the door. Most biologically-produced stenches will decompose at high temps.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Rat
    Heat. Raise the temperature to about 500 F slowly, turn off the oven and let the temp return to ambient without opening the door. Most biologically-produced stenches will decompose at high temps.
    That reminds me of the time my roommate bought a chicken but didn't get to cook it before it started to stink just a little bit. He figured he could could cook it at a high enough temp that the germs would be killed and the chicken would be edible. So he washed that bird, threw it in the oven and within 20 minutes we were all gagging from the smell that permeated the entire house(for days). That was 1978 and he's been a vegetarian ever since.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    That reminds me of the time my roommate bought a chicken but didn't get to cook it before it started to stink just a little bit. He figured he could could cook it at a high enough temp that the germs would be killed and the chicken would be edible. So he washed that bird, threw it in the oven and within 20 minutes we were all gagging from the smell that permeated the entire house(for days). That was 1978 and he's been a vegetarian ever since.
    LOL. I used to manager Hooters and once we found a few cases of wings we had stashed away just in case for SuperBowl Sunday and forgot about them in the keg cooler. We didn't dare open the sealed plastic packaging before we tossed em. It smelled bad enough on it's own.

that carboy has been soaking ever since. I dumped it out a couple days ago.. stinks like bleach now.. which is better than mouse.
    picked up a new carboy anyway since I had beer I needed to put in

dude, dead mouse in something I know i'd be putting good fresh hard-worked for wort into would be enough for me to give up a carboy.
    I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia- the fear of an empty glass!

I don't even want to go there when it comes to 'ripe meat' be it chicken, beef or fish. One experience of about 30 years ago with having to inspect a trailer (reefer) full of about 28,000 lbs of hanging beef after the refer failed in California, it getting rejected and then driven back to the mid-west was enough to turn me into a Vegan(sp?). Didn't eat for two days following that and took 10 days before I could stomach even a hamburger.

Oh then there was the time 36,000 pounds of chicken wings......
    And the time 5 tons of smelt dumped out the back of a truck down the main drag of a small city...

Ahhh, those were the days.