Thread: Amber Recipe Input

Amber Recipe Input

I want to put together an all grain American Amber style recipe.

While I like the breadyness of Fat Tire I enjoy Pikes Amber ale the most.

Im looking for a 5-5.5 ABV with some subtle toasty, nutty or bready notes.
    I have been looking at some grains I have yet to use : Special B, Munich, Buscuit ...any input on some ideas. Marris Otter or Rahr?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(Even though I work about 6 blocks from the brewery, I don't think I've EVER had this beer. Strange, as I've had all of the rest of them).

Have you looked at their web site for hints?

http://www.pikebrewing.com/index_flash.shtml

Their Pale Ale (aka heirloom amber ale) has Pale malt, Munich Malt, Crystal, & Wheat malts.

My guess would be to start trying your recipe using 1lb each of Crystal 60 & Wheat Malt, and 2 lbs of Munich, along with your basic pale 2 row, and try to work it from there.

HTH-
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Thanks Brewdog, I never thought to check their site.

I love it when they give an ingredient list, it helps with recipe generation.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I have all these on hand so why not try them out. All my stats in beer tools look good for the style.

8# Marris Otter
    .50 Crystal 60
    .50 Special B (not sure about this yet)
    .50 Victory
    .50 Munich
    1 oz. Williamette
    1 oz. Goldings
    Not sure about the yeast,

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplemintz
    I have all these on hand so why not try them out. All my stats in beer tools look good for the style.

8# Marris Otter
    .50 Crystal 60
    .50 Victory
    .50 Munich
    1 oz. Williamette
    1 oz. Goldings

I would up the Munich to a pound other than that looks good to me. Oh you may want to swap out the goldings for something more distinctively American as well. Personally i would do 1oz cascade and 1oz Amarillo, and use a clean American yeast such as the chico strain. Also Marris Otter is not gonna give an "American Flavor" but i wouldn't change it.
    Last edited by vance71975; 12-06-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplemintz

8# Marris Otter
    .50 Crystal 60
    .50 Victory
    .50 Munich
    1 oz. Williamette
    1 oz. Goldings
    I would take out the Spec.B because at half a pound it won't be amber it will be blackish and I would do more American hops.
    Drinking:Hydrometer sample.
    Up next: Gumballhead clone,Surly Furious Clone
    Primary:Scottish120/?,Simco/Warrior Red, Dogfish 90min Clone.
    Secondary:nadda
    Bottle conditioning:Belgian Imperial Stout,Wee heavy Bottled:Olde Ale,IPA,APA Black IPA steam beer.

Did you make this yet?
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

I did. It was just transferred to secondary. I made a few changes to the recipe and used a different yeast.