Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter

Porter

Finally finished my first porter (Thanks Vance for all of the help!) and I like how it turned out, but I'm already thinking of alterations. Here's the initial recipe:

8# Dark LME
    1# Crystal 40L
    .5# Black Patent
    .5# Chocolate
    1 oz fuggles at 60
    irish moss (15)

Safale S-04 yeast

Fermented for 12 days, then carbonated 4 gallons in my keg. My room stayed at about 68 throughout the time. 1 gallon was reserved and thrown into a jug with 4 oz of 100% cacao chocolate (ghiradelli).

For the 4 gallons, I like the taste but I find that the front of the drink is a bit thin. The initial head is also good, awesome color and the middle and end taste nice and roasty like I hoped it would, but the foam isn't retained for the entire duration.

I've learned my lesson about dark LME though, and I will be switching to light next time and letting the grains do the real work for color and flavor.

My changes:
    8# light LME
    1# crystal 40L
    should I switch black patent to less or more?
    I liked chocolate, increase to .75#?
    1.5 oz fuggles (60)
    .5 oz fuggles (30)

same yeast, same everything else. What should I add for body and head retention? Any other suggestions? I really enjoyed this beer!

Also, fermentation stopped at 1.022. Should it be that high, or should I let it sit longer in the future in the hopes it drops to 1.015ish? Add nutrient?
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)

Maybe 0.5# of CaraPils for body and head retention.
    "Grab a brew. Don't cost nothin'."

- John 'Bluto' Blutarsky

The carapils will certainly help fix the body issues, or some people use maltodextrine with extract beers.
    Since you're going with the light LME up the chocolate and BP to .75 pounds each-my 10 gallon recipe uses 1.5 pounds of each and it's pretty decent.
    I love all Fuggles porters, it just seems to work very well with the roasted flavors. I like your 60 minute addition, but I would go with an ounce at 20 minutes to get more flavor.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

I meant to say that I used half a pound of crystal 40L. I haven't done a lot of crystal variation among my beers. What would happen if I went with 60L? Should I use a full pound, or stick with the half pound I had before?

A half pound of any crystal is as much as I would use, and the difference between 40 and 60 in a porter is pretty small.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Thanks corky. I'd love someday to tailor my porter to mimic Founders, or maybe Fuller's London Porter.

I'd boost the 40L to .75lbs and add a .75 80L Crystal addition (think of layering in your malts here).
    +1 on Corky's flavor hop addition. Try to hit the total IBUs to about a .5 to .6 BU:GU ratio. ie, a 1.060 beer will have 30 to 36 IBUs.

One other thing you can try is to use Carafa Special III to keep the huskiness down while still adding roast malt flavors.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Whats 80L crystal like? Will the flavor hop addition help with the front end of the flavor profile, because that's where I find the current one lacking. I'm hoping the carapils consistency fix will help with that too.

C80 has a very caramelly almost bittersweet flavor to it, and it should help with the "front" flavors, as will a flavor hop addition.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by maltyapples
    Finally finished my first porter (Thanks Vance for all of the help!) and I like how it turned out, but I'm already thinking of alterations. Here's the initial recipe:

8# Dark LME
    1# Crystal 40L
    .5# Black Patent
    .5# Chocolate
    1 oz fuggles at 60
    irish moss (15)

Safale S-04 yeast

Fermented for 12 days, then carbonated 4 gallons in my keg. My room stayed at about 68 throughout the time. 1 gallon was reserved and thrown into a jug with 4 oz of 100% cacao chocolate (ghiradelli).

For the 4 gallons, I like the taste but I find that the front of the drink is a bit thin. The initial head is also good, awesome color and the middle and end taste nice and roasty like I hoped it would, but the foam isn't retained for the entire duration.

I've learned my lesson about dark LME though, and I will be switching to light next time and letting the grains do the real work for color and flavor.

My changes:
    8# light LME
    1# crystal 40L
    should I switch black patent to less or more?
    I liked chocolate, increase to .75#?
    1.5 oz fuggles (60)
    .5 oz fuggles (30)

same yeast, same everything else. What should I add for body and head retention? Any other suggestions? I really enjoyed this beer!

Also, fermentation stopped at 1.022. Should it be that high, or should I let it sit longer in the future in the hopes it drops to 1.015ish? Add nutrient?
    Another easy way to fix the thin body and head retention is instead of 8 lbs LME use 5 or 6 lbs LME and 2 or 3 lbs Wheat LME. Head retention problem solved! Or hell use 8 lbs Wheat LME and skip the light LME all together, i can say from personal brewing that Wheat porter and stout are AMAZING and nearly a life changing beer!

i would go .50 to .75 range for Black Patent you can increase the Chocolate all the way to 1lb if you like. Crystal 40-80 range will work out well or for a different twist try crystal Wheat and Chocolate Wheat malt with Wheat LME.

Wouldnt worry about a porter stopping at 1.022 especially using Dark LME. I prefer my Porters and stouts in the 1.022-1.028 range anyway lol. Well that is my .02 hope it helps!
    Last edited by vance71975; 04-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    Another easy way to fix the thin body and head retention is instead of 8 lbs LME use 5 or 6 lbs LME and 2 or 3 lbs Wheat LME. Head retention problem solved! Or hell use 8 lbs Wheat LME and skip the light LME all together, i can say from personal brewing that Wheat porter and stout are AMAZING and nearly a life changing beer!

i would go .50 to .75 range for Black Patent you can increase the Chocolate all the way to 1lb if you like. Crystal 40-80 range will work out well or for a different twist try crystal Wheat and Chocolate Wheat malt with Wheat LME.

Wouldnt worry about a porter stopping at 1.022 especially using Dark LME. I prefer my Porters and stouts in the 1.022-1.028 range anyway lol. Well that is my .02 hope it helps!
    Thanks Vance, it always helps! I hadn't thought of using Wheat LME, that's a cool idea and keeps it simple. What are crystal wheat and chocolate wheat like compared to their like-named counterparts?

One of the brewers for O'Connor Brewery located here in Norfolk said he like my beer a lot at the beer tasting today! Pretty cool! (Neato?)

Quote Originally Posted by maltyapples
    What should I add for body and head retention?
    For good body and head retention, add a very secret parking spot as nothing will cover her body and kill head retention faster than the cop knocking on the car window.
    Olgethorpe is screening me!

You've been milking that one for years, Wort! Still makes me laugh, though.
    -B'Dawg

I think having Wort jump on one of your posts about head retention is an official part of the Realbeer hazing process.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast