Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Suggestions

Porter Suggestions

If anyone sees anything in this Baltic Porter recipe that looks like trouble, your input is appreciated. If think i may be going a little overboard on the specialty grains. I remember posting once about how I didn't like porters. Funny how these things change.

9.2# Gold LME
    2# Aromatic
    1# Weyerman Smoked
    1# Caramel 60
    .5# Chocolate Malt
    .5# Molasses (black strap)
    .25 Black Patent

1.5 Northern Brewer

1 Packet Notty

38.9 IBU
    8.5 ABV
    Last edited by Baacktoberfest; 08-27-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

I would drop the molasses and up the black patent to .5 pounds. Also a nice flavor addition of hops is good, say 1 oz of Fuggles at 20 minutes. I'm not sure if aromatic has to be mashed or if it can be steeped, it's a malt I almost never use.
    I've developed a true appreciation of porters since I brewed my first serious one a few years ago. I love a good straight porter, but it's a style that lends itself to other flavors like smoke, coffee and vanilla(separately of course)
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

I've never brewed one so don't really have any advice, but I thought Baltic Porter meant a strong porter that was brewed with lager yeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegobrew
    I've never brewed one so don't really have any advice, but I thought Baltic Porter meant a strong porter that was brewed with lager yeast.
    I missed the Baltic part, but otherwise my advice stands. Nottingham is actually a good choice-I've fermented ales at 57F internal temp with Notty.

Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin

Yeah, I'm not set up for lagers so I chose Notty because you seem to be able to get lager-like qualities from it when kept on the cooler side. I also just really like ales. I'm going to give this one the bourbon oak treatment as well.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    ... I'm not sure if aromatic has to be mashed or if it can be steeped, it's a malt I almost never use.

I have only ever mashed it but I'm pretty sure it's OK to steep.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

I included all of the grains in the mini mash. It's mow fermenting happily in the basement. This one's going to be top notch. I ended up taking taking Corky's advice and increased the black malt, but only up to .375#. I also added a half a pound of Special B-I just couldn't help myself. In the past, if I ended up using too much specialty grain, it was nothing that some cellaring couldn't fix.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Quote Originally Posted by Baacktoberfest
    I included all of the grains in the mini mash. It's mow fermenting happily in the basement. This one's going to be top notch. I ended up taking taking Corky's advice and increased the black malt, but only up to .375#. I also added a half a pound of Special B-I just couldn't help myself. In the past, if I ended up using too much specialty grain, it was nothing that some cellaring couldn't fix.

Good call, Aromatic Malt DOES need mashed, but it adds a Wonderful nose to the beer.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

I love a good straight porter, but it's a style that lends itself to other flavors like smoke, coffee and vanilla(separately of course)

See now i have to make a Smoked Coffee Vanilla Porter. I blame you Corky!

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    Good call, Aromatic Malt DOES need mashed, but it adds a Wonderful nose to the beer.
    I love aromatic. I use it in almost every beer.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

I love aromatic. I use it in almost every beer.
    Wow I've never used it either. Whats it contribute? Bread smell? You can only smell it?

I should be more specific. I use it in almost all of my malty beers. It gives you a very enhanced, malt flavor and aroma. Vance got me hooked on it in a Scotch Ale recipe that he helped me with a year or two ago. Since i do a lot of mini mashes, it always made sense to use it, as opposed to a couple pounds of 2 row or pale malt that won't really make much of a splash in small quantities. Nowadays, it's either a couple # of aromatic or weyerman smoked malt.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    See now i have to make a Smoked Coffee Vanilla Porter. I blame you Corky!
    You sound like the original vance, before brewchick did away with him and started brewing reasonable recipes

You sound like the original vance, before brewchick did away with him and started brewing reasonable recipes
    Reasonable is so over done tho.

I should be more specific. I use it in almost all of my malty beers. It gives you a very enhanced, malt flavor and aroma. Vance got me hooked on it in a Scotch Ale recipe that he helped me with a year or two ago. Since i do a lot of mini mashes, it always made sense to use it, as opposed to a couple pounds of 2 row or pale malt that won't really make much of a splash in small quantities. Nowadays, it's either a couple # of aromatic or weyerman smoked malt.
    Its also one of my favorite malts, I use 2-5 lbs in my IPA's to give it a nice malt backbone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast