Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porter Suggestions

So I bottled this one last weekend, and it's going to be a thing of beauty. The aromatics are off the charts. Raisins, oak, dark chocolate and cherry licorice. I'll let everyone know how the first bottle goes down.
    I think Mike had a good point in saying that one of the problems with the forum is that nobody does follow-up posts on how their beers turn out.
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

All my beers turn out perfect, all I need to do is think of a beer to brew and it's gonna be great. Actually I have had a couple that I wouldn't brew again, not because they were really bad, but they are not really great and it was more a flawed concept than anything else.
    My cherry brett blonde is OK, but cherry flavor in non sour beers turns out tasting artificial and watery, even with 12 pounds of cherries sitting for 2 months in 5 gallons of beer. My crabapple brett blonde OTOH is excellent, kind of a cidery, apple aftertaste with a hint of brett funk.
    Of my recent brewing binge I'm happy with all ofthem. In the past 2 months I've brewed a Kolsch(wife loves it), and alt(I love it), and English brown, a rye IPA and I just tasted a hydrometer sample of my hefeweizen. BTW all these beers will be available in my backyard Oktoberfest on Saturday, so anybody here is welcome to come by and share a beer.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    All my beers turn out perfect, all I need to do is think of a beer to brew and it's gonna be great. Actually I have had a couple that I wouldn't brew again, not because they were really bad, but they are not really great and it was more a flawed concept than anything else.
    My cherry brett blonde is OK, but cherry flavor in non sour beers turns out tasting artificial and watery, even with 12 pounds of cherries sitting for 2 months in 5 gallons of beer. My crabapple brett blonde OTOH is excellent, kind of a cidery, apple aftertaste with a hint of brett funk.
    Of my recent brewing binge I'm happy with all ofthem. In the past 2 months I've brewed a Kolsch(wife loves it), and alt(I love it), and English brown, a rye IPA and I just tasted a hydrometer sample of my hefeweizen. BTW all these beers will be available in my backyard Oktoberfest on Saturday, so anybody here is welcome to come by and share a beer.
    Wish you lived in Ohio buddy i would be there!
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Quote Originally Posted by Baacktoberfest
    So I bottled this one last weekend, and it's going to be a thing of beauty. The aromatics are off the charts. Raisins, oak, dark chocolate and cherry licorice. I'll let everyone know how the first bottle goes down.
    I think Mike had a good point in saying that one of the problems with the forum is that nobody does follow-up posts on how their beers turn out.

What changes did you make if any to the original recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    What changes did you make if any to the original recipe?
    I bumped the molassas down to .25# and the Black Patent up to .375. I also added .5# of Special B.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel

Update:
    When Corky suggests leaving the molassas out...leave it out. This would be a good beer, but the black strap really knocked it down a few notches. It has a really metalic/sulpheric flavor. The aroma is great, but that's about all I can say it has going for it. I'm hoping that if I just put it away for a few months it'll at least turn into something palatable.
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

I'm willing to bet you'll like it in time. Best of luck!
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)

Quote Originally Posted by Baacktoberfest
    Update:
    When Corky suggests leaving the molassas out...leave it out. This would be a good beer, but the black strap really knocked it down a few notches. It has a really metalic/sulpheric flavor. The aroma is great, but that's about all I can say it has going for it. I'm hoping that if I just put it away for a few months it'll at least turn into something palatable.

Molasses is great in Beer if you follow two simple rules. 1) Do not use black strap unless you have NO other choice, use the kind you find in the grocery store for baking and make sure it is unsulphered. 2) Make sure you age it in the bottle at cellar temps for at least 1 year(longer if you used black strap, think about 2 years) before drinking it. I have found following these 2 rules and you get a fine molasses beer.

Quote Originally Posted by vance71975
    Make sure you age it in the bottle at cellar temps for at least 1 year(longer if you used black strap, think about 2 years) before drinking it. I have found following these 2 rules and you get a fine molasses beer.
    I don't want to wait years to drink beer if I can just leave out an ingredient and drink it next month. I've always felt that any ingredient that has to be aged long term to be palatable has no place in my recipes. Homebrewing has taught me patience, but one or 2 year wait is unnecessary. Use some D2 syrup if you feel you have to.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    I don't want to wait years to drink beer if I can just leave out an ingredient and drink it next month. I've always felt that any ingredient that has to be aged long term to be palatable has no place in my recipes. Homebrewing has taught me patience, but one or 2 year wait is unnecessary. Use some D2 syrup if you feel you have to.
    Well i only use it in my really Big stouts and porters anyway, usually 10% abv and up. Those already require a long aging anyway, so i figure why not give it the extra dimension of flavor.
    Last edited by vance71975; 10-12-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12