Thread: Wild Hops

Wild Hops

A friend found some hops growing wild and picked a couple grocery bags' worth for me to brew with. I figure I'll rinse and dehydrate them just like I did the ones I grew in the garden. But they're wild: I have no idea what sort of hops they are, what they taste like, or anything else. So I'm hoping to get some ideas about what would be a good beer for sampling wild hops.

I'm rather excited about this: I've been meaning to try some less traditional brewing (I've been thinking about both spruce and heather ales); I figure wild hops are a baby step towards that. I have no idea how much I have, I'm hoping it works out to at least three or four ounces dried, but I'm still new enough to home-grown hops I have trouble estimating weights.

So I need to make something where the hops are noticeable and prominent, but I don't just want to make a hop bomb. Maybe an ESB? or a generic amber? Anyone else ever done this?

You could always steep a little of the hops in hot water or a french press to try and get an idea of how they'll turn out.
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)

Quote Originally Posted by maltyapples
    You could always steep a little of the hops in hot water or a french press to try and get an idea of how they'll turn out.
    +1 Or you could always do a One gallon "starter" with 1lb DME to see before you commit to a "full batch".
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Or dry hop a beer you haven't bottled or kegged yet.

I'd try a pretty simple American PA, say 8 lbs 2-row and 1 lb light crystal for 5 gallons. That'll give a fairly neutral base on which to test the hops. I use my homegrown for flavor and aroma additions because there's not enough to get the AAs tested. I use commercial lots for the bittering additions because I can get a pretty good idea of where the overall IBUs will come in.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia