Thread: Maple Candi Syrup

Maple Candi Syrup

I've been informed that there is a homebrew competition coming up in December. The theme is "off the wall" ingredients. I want to try to caramelize some locally made maple syrup to the point that it gives me more of a belgian candi syrup (BCS) flavor. I understand that there are chemical processes that take place when doing this with beet sugar and won't happen with maple syrup, but I think I can still get a similar effect as far as flavor.
    I've heard that the best way to get the most out BCS is to boil and cool it down, then add it to secondary. Has anyone had any experience with this? any input is appreciated.
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

This beer will be around 7.3 ABV with a pound of the syrup. I want to maintain the body in it as much as possible, so I'm wondering what percentage of carapils to use. On northern brewer they say to use 1-5%, but I'm assuming that is in a beer without adjuncts. Is a pound of carapils completely unreasonable?
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

It depends on what your "base beer" is. For a belgian, reducing the unfermentables (which is why the candi syrup comes is used in the first place) is a goal, so adding carapils would counteract that. If your base beer is something a bit heartier, then 5% cara would not be out of place.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia