Thread: Best brew day

Best brew day

I just finished clean up on my best brew day to date. I made something pale and kinda-sorta Belgian, with a double decoction mash. With one exception, every beer I've made in the last year has been a double- or triple decoction. I guess I'm on a decoction kick.

My mash schedule today was 140F for an hour then 158F for 45 minutes, then a mash-out at 165F for 15 minutes. I screwed up the mash-out a little: I overshot my mash-out temp, and stirred my mash to lower the temp. I lowered it too far, so I essentially skipped the mash-out.

One thing I did differently today was, my decoctions were a little thinner than normal. That made them a lot easier to stir, and they boiled quite a while with no scorching. So I'm thinking I might need to use thinner decoctions from now on.

Anyways, today was the first brew day I've had in a long time without any real catastrophes. And it's a nice and sunny day to boot, which is odd in its own right here in the Northwest.

A good brewing day is a thing of rare beauty. Even when things go wrong I'd rather be brewing than doing stuff that normal people enjoy.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Crabapple Brett Blonde, Cherry Brett Blonde, Rye Stout,Sour Porter,Oatmeal Stout, Amarillo Wheat, Saison, ESB
    Primary:Pecan Smoked Roggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Porter/Vanilla Bourbon Porter,

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    Even when things go wrong I'd rather be brewing than doing stuff that normal people enjoy.
    Can't argue with that.

Does that make us abnormal? Most of my friends think so but don't dare say it while they're pounding my beers.

On tap:Crabapple Brett Blonde, Cherry Brett Blonde, Rye Stout,Sour Porter,Oatmeal Stout, Amarillo Wheat, Saison, ESB
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin

I'm unsure whether brewing is particularly addictive, or whether it appeals only to people who are addicts in search of a new addiction. I just don't know. But I know as much as I'd love to be "balanced" and "moderate" about brewing, it just ain't gonna happen.

But it does seem to make you some friends. Maybe more on drinking day than on bottling day, but lots of friends.

I think were all abnormal.
    On Tap:
    Bottled:
    Kegged: Founders KBS Clone Brewed in '09 - might not be good anymore
    Primary:
    Secondary:
    Next brew: Not sure yet...

Is it just me or has the forum become abnormal since I was last here?