Thread: Smithwick's and Modelo

Smithwick's and Modelo

Brews lacking sapidity
    How do you like that term

What do Smithwick's Imported Irish Ale by Guiness and Modelo Especial lager have in common? The other day conducting a tasting of one after the other I noted although both are entirely satisfactory, I could drink either one all day, they lack that aftertaste, often provided by just the right dosage of hop, that distinguishes a truly superior brew

Was it just a bad day on my part or am I onto something

I wouldnt disagree with you here. If by "just the right dosage" you many any. Not sure I would sign onto the "entirely satisfactory" part though. Smithwicks is a step down from modern Harp for me and Modelo I would categorize as almost undrinkable (or as I often call these beers a "cooking beer"). Id rather have a Tecate then a Modelo any day and a Tecate isnt very good. That being said even as a beer head I DO believe in the phenomenon of "good bad beers". I put Miller High Life, Old Style, maybe Red Stripe and some others into this category.
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

Rex thank you most categorically for that excellent response

I wouldnt disagree with you here. If by "just the right dosage" you mean any.
    Thank you for confirming my observation

Not sure I would sign onto the "entirely satisfactory" part though.
    My two Sons and I as Chief Tasters and Recording Secretary, resp, of The Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society on a nonlinear scale of 1-10 rate anything we might drink all day at, say, a ballgame, at 3, "satisfactory," but not necessarily "entirely"

Smithwicks is a step down from modern Harp for me
    But isn't Harp a lager

and Modelo I would categorize as almost undrinkable (or as I often call these beers a "cooking beer").
    I'm not so sure. Though as the first sip I might have rated it around 2.8, depending on whether it's the first beer of a tasting session, it's vastly superior to oldtimers Bud, Michelob, Schlitz; no sweetness, no hops, rating in the range 0.3 to, say, 1.7

Id rather have a Tecate than a Modelo any day and a Tecate isnt very good.
    For some reason the latter isn't readily available hereabout and so we have only this one scoring

Modelo beer, Mexico 2.0/2.0

As for the former, we must have mixed feelings:

Tecate beer, Mexico; 0.1/1.2; 4.7/1.0; 3.0/1.2; 4.5/2.2; 6.3/0.1

Compared with

Smithwick’s Irish Ale, Ireland 2.1/2.9; 1.6/2.5; 3.8/2.2; 1.6/2.7

That being said even as a beer head I DO believe in the phenomenon of "good bad beers". I put Miller High Life, Old Style, maybe Red Stripe and some others into this category.
    Red Stripe Jamaican lager 1.8/4.6; 3.2/3.0; 3.0/3.5

Rex been real pleasure chat
    Last edited by dalehileman; 04-08-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Negra Modelo, OTOH, is a decent rendition of a Vienna lager.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Modelo is really only good to me when I'm eating tacos. Then it's refreshing! It's been a while since I've had Smithwick's, but last time I had it I remember it was decent, but not my first choice by any means.
    Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world. (I think I may have found her!)

On deck: Citra smash
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Porter, lots of cider, IPA, honey ale, and esb.
    Secondary: Zip point squat
    Kegged: Amber Ale

Quote Originally Posted by dalehileman
    My two Sons and I as Chief Tasters and Recording Secretary, resp, of The Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society on a nonlinear scale of 1-10 rate anything we might drink all day at, say, a ballgame, at 3, "satisfactory," but not necessarily "entirely"
    I admire your organized system, your record keeping and the fact you have two willing participants to balance your numbers. I would like to do such a thing with my wife and two daughters but they arent much on statistics and the girls general response scale for such a tasting would generally range from "blech!" to "I dont want any beer" unfortunately.

But isn't Harp a lager
    Indeed. Which should tell you something about how long its been since Ive last tasted a Smithwicks and what my general impression of it was. Must lump the two together since they are both made by Guinness. Or maybe I was thinking of Killians... Who knows...

Red Stripe Jamaican lager 1.8/4.6; 3.2/3.0; 3.0/3.5
    I was in Jamaica in March and my all-inclusive hotel offered Red Strip and Red Stripe Light (?) as the ONLY beers on tap in the entire place! Now I was somewhat surprised when I ordered my first and I found it actually had some flavor and descernable notes of fresh grain and slight roastyness if not a hop presence. The only other Red Stripes I have had had been in bottles in the US and I had never been very impressed. So maybe because it was closer to the source and/or on tap it was actually better? Of course even at that rate I found myself tired of them after my 2nd or 3rd one (which got me to about 10 AM most days at a club that hands out free drinks) so I was generally moving onto Daiquiris by that point for the rest of the day. C'est la vie...
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

I would not take either to hockey for a after game beer. I would have no problem having either while dinning out.
    Olgethorpe is screening me!