Thread: Widmer Hopside Down lager/IPA

Widmer Hopside Down lager/IPA

"India style pale lager," but "Rotator IPA series"

"We're turning things deliciously upside down with an aggressively hopped cold-fermentred brew that brings together the clean, crisp finish of a lager with the hoppy aroma and character of an IPA

Prost! to turning convention on its head."

But if it's cold-fermented isn't it basically a lager? A new one for me, didn't seem as aggressive as a typical IPA, while I could have mistaken it for a lager but I'm no expert by any means. Looking fwd to reactions at next round of the Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society

Meanwhile have you tried it, how do you like it, and how would you describe it

It sounds interesting but the only Widmer I've ever seen is their bland wheat beer. I'll look today at the store to see if maybe it is available here. Too many people confuse the term lager with bland, tasteless beer. You are correct that it is the cold fermenting yeast and cold storage post-fermentation (lagering) , but lagers come in any flavor profile. I have a lager fermenting right now made with 40% malt I smoked over pecan wood. Even though it will go through the whole lager process, it will have no resemblance whatsoever to Coors or Budweiser.Excessive hops can be added to give it more of an IPA aspect, but the term India pale lager is meaningless.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Crabapple Brett Blonde, Cherry Brett Blonde, Rye Stout,Sour Porter,Oatmeal Stout, Amarillo Wheat, Saison, ESB
    Primary:Pecan Smoked Roggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Porter/Vanilla Bourbon Porter,

It sounds interesting but the only Widmer I've ever seen is their bland wheat beer.
    The condescending and pretentious amongst us might use the term "subtle"

I'll look today at the store to see if maybe it is available here.
    If so then do report back Corky

Too many people confuse the term lager with bland, tasteless beer.
    Amen. Of course compared to a typical IPA for instance I suppose one could consider the lager bland. That's why in GSBTS tasting session we now start with lagers

You are correct that it is the cold fermenting yeast and cold storage post-fermentation (lagering) ,
    [which makes Hopside a lager]

but lagers come in any flavor profile. I have a lager fermenting right now made with 40% malt I smoked over pecan wood.
    Wow Corky if you lived closer I'd finagle a visit

Even though it will go through the whole lager process, it will have no resemblance whatsoever to Coors or Budweiser.
    I should certainly hope not

Excessive hops can be added to give it more of an IPA aspect, but the term India pale lager is meaningless.
    Indeed I had wondered

Great Lakes did an IPL for their Anniversary. If I recall it is called Silver and Gold IPL. I enjoyed it.
    Olgethorpe is screening me!