Thread: Erdinger weiszen and Sam's Summer Ale

Erdinger weiszen and Sam's Summer Ale

By sheer coincidence I tasted these two a couple afternoons ago. Besides both wheat brews, how is Erdinger Weiszen Kristall All Natural, "The world's No. 1 Hefeweiszen" like Sam Adams Summer Ale Seasonal Brew, "The same allure as a bright summer day"

They're both bland. Or should I say "subtle"

However I'll give Sam credit for the "lemon peel and exotic peppery spice" that on my somewhat limited palate places it a notch above

Any comments welcomed. Thanks fellas

PS: As Recording Secretary of the Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society If I hear from one of our excellent tasters I'll pass along his/her remarks

I'll drink the Erdinger any day, all day. I don't want spices added to my beer-just like I won't put a slice of orange or lemon on my beer glass. Erdinger is world class, they set the standards for wheat beers(along with Weihenstephaner)
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Crabapple Brett Blonde, Cherry Brett Blonde, Rye Stout,Sour Porter,Oatmeal Stout, Amarillo Wheat, Saison, ESB
    Primary:Pecan Smoked Roggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Porter/Vanilla Bourbon Porter,

I'll drink the Erdinger any day, all day.
    At only 5.3% That's quite understandable Corky

I don't want spices added to my beer-
    As I had mentioned in another thread, given my German heritage I felt much the same way for some 81 years, and it's only recently I've begun to appreciate the like from time to time

just like I won't put a slice of orange or lemon on my beer glass.
    Agreed, I wouldn't either, it would look silly or effeminate; not to mention the laziness on my part

Erdinger is world class, they set the standards for wheat beers(along with Weihenstephaner)
    Corky I do most wholeheartedly respect your palate, and next opportunity I'll expend special effort to appreciate its nuances

I just had a great Oklahoma wheat beer brewed by Choc Brewing. At 4% ABV it's a beer I could drink all day, no spices, not heavy, just a delicious German style hefeweizen flavor. Boulevard also makes a great wheat, again with no spices or weird flavors needed to be delicious.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Crabapple Brett Blonde, Cherry Brett Blonde, Rye Stout,Sour Porter,Oatmeal Stout, Amarillo Wheat, Saison, ESB
    Primary:Pecan Smoked Roggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Porter/Vanilla Bourbon Porter,

Thanks Corky for those pertinent remarks

Agreed the idea of spicing beer sounds weird but I was surprised to find, at least for my palate, that the Sam's benefited from it