http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/educa...ourse/12619711

ST. LOUIS (KSDK) Interested in learning how to brew beer? The University of Missouri, St. Louis can teach you.

The university will begin offering the class this fall.

Joseph Meisel, a fourth year UMSL PhD chemistry student, will teach the course. Meisel has been a home brewer for the past three years, and, according to an UMSL blog, said he is excited to show other people how much science goes into brewing beer.

"My initial impression was that beer brewing was really simple, but the more I did it, the more I realized that there's a lot of science behind it," Meisel said in the blog. "I thought it might be something neat to try and use beer brewing to teach science."

The course has the full backing of Christopher Spilling who is the chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UMSL as well as the support from the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Dean Yasbin.

The good thing for everyone to hear is that students do not have to be 21 or older to enroll in the course, however, they do have to be of age to drink the beer they learn to brew.

How many students sign up for the course will determine how the students brew beer. If enough students sign up, each student will brew his or her beer individually. If more students than expected sign up, the students will pair off and brew beer together.

Meisel said he is excited for the opportunity to teach the class.