I've got a pale ale sitting in a carboy. It's acting differently than any other beer I've made, and I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen this.

First, there is sediment formed on the sides of the carboy (on the inside). I can't remember seeing that before. It started pretty soon after pitching the yeast.

Second, it's been in the carboy over a week, and there is still a thick covering of skunge on the top of the beer. Not really foam: it's more solid-looking than foam. It looks like normal yeast activity, except it's been over a week. Usually this head forms in the first day or so, and by the fourth or fifth day it's all sunk to the bottom. But it's been nine days, and it's still there.

We've been having a heat wave, and I'm fermenting at ambient temperature. But I've done that before, and I've never seen something like this.

I should mention too that the beer looked completely normal for the first couple days, except for the sediment on the walls. There was lots of airlock activity, and I could see the chunks of goo circulating in the carboy. Bu the airlock has been still for days, and head is still there.

Has anyone seen something like this before? If so, is this a big deal? Am I looking at dumping it on the lawn, or is it salvageable?