http://www.foodiecrush.com/2014/08/p...steamed-shrimp

Name:  Peel-n-Eat-Shrimp-foodiecrush.com-105.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  70.7 KB

This recipe calls for one bottle of beer. I prefer a bottle versus the can. You could say itís a mental thing, I say itís a taste thing. Donít choose anything to strong, dark or heavy. A pilsner works perfectly. I chose a local brew, but when in doubt, Budweiser would will do the trick.

If beer isnít your thing, a nice white wine (about 1 cup) will add the required boozy flavor. And if you really canít do booze, substitute it with clam juice or even chicken broth.

The kind of shrimp you use in this dish is of paramount proportions. Just like all of my shrimp dishes, I prefer a sweeter shrimp and Key West Pinks are about as sweet as they come. But because I donít live in Florida or along a gulf of any kind, I buy mine in the freezer section of Whole Foods. If you canít find Key West Pinks, just please be sure your choice is sustainable as noted in this Seafood Watch list.

You might be tempted to peel and tail the shrimp before you cook them, but donít! The shells flavor the broth and protect that succulent shrimp meat from the bubbling heat.

I use shallots to give off the onion flavor but you can easily substitute green onion or even red onion if you donít have shallots on hand. Just donít forget the garlic!!

This appetizerís best feature is the broth so the number one rule is, DONíT let it go to waste! A big hunk of sourdough bread smeared with salted butter is required. It makes the best way to sop up the buttery, lemon spiked sauce.

I originally developed this recipe for my partners at Go Bold with Butter, because, what goes better than beer and butter and shrimp?

Ingredients

1 pound extra large shrimp (26/30), with shells and tails on
4 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, smashed or coarsely chopped
1/4 cup shallot, chopped
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces lager-style beer
1/2 lemon plus more for garnish
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Sourdough bread, for dipping
Instructions

Rinse shrimp and set aside.
Melt butter in large sautť pan over medium high heat and add garlic and shallot. Cook 4 minutes or until garlic and shallots become soft and translucent. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add beer and shrimp. Cover with lid and cook 4-5 minutes or until shrimp become opaque. Remove from heat and squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon into broth and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve with sliced sourdough bread for dipping.