Thread: I think it's finally time

I think it's finally time

I've finally worked out the logistics to brewing beer in my space and time constraints. I'm going to keep it small (2-2.5 gallons) so that I can fit the beet into my smallest keg. From there, I'll bottle around 12 and drink the rest from the keg. By keeping the batch really small I think I can just brew a really strong batch and dilute with water and I'll still be able to work on my stove.

The real question comes in: what should I brew? I'm leaning towards a nice hefty IPA. I like Sierra Nevada's Torpedo extra IPA, green flash, and Lagunita's range of flavors. Anyone have recommendations on which hops to go with, perhaps something you've had good luck with?

I brewed an IPA with a friend a while back and it smelled like peaches, and I wish I'd written that recipe down because it was intense and delicious. Let me know what you all think, all input is welcome
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)

Remember your hop utilization will be lower with a more concentrated boil.

The local brewpub here has an IPA that tastes like melons. It's awesome. They sell the same beer with double the dry hops and the melon flavor isn't there.

I just brewed an IPA today. Magnum and Chinook for bittering, Columbus for Flavor, and Centennial for Aroma. Will be dry hopping with Centennial when it's done. Should be on the line of Stone's IPA. At 26lb girst, didn't have much room left in the mash tun. I believe 30 lbs will be where I max out.
    ON TAP:
    Founders KBS Clone Brewed in '11 - almost gone!
    American ESB Hybrid (1)

BOTTLED:

KEGGED:

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegobrew View Post
    Remember your hop utilization will be lower with a more concentrated boil.

The local brewpub here has an IPA that tastes like melons. It's awesome. They sell the same beer with double the dry hops and the melon flavor isn't there.

I just brewed an IPA today. Magnum and Chinook for bittering, Columbus for Flavor, and Centennial for Aroma. Will be dry hopping with Centennial when it's done. Should be on the line of Stone's IPA. At 26lb girst, didn't have much room left in the mash tun. I believe 30 lbs will be where I max out.
    Thanks for the reminder, I'll definitely try and account for that. I'm thinking about trying out Citra hops since I've never used them before. Perhaps Citra and chinook? I'll muddle the idea around for a bit. Whatever I go with I really want it to pack a punch so maybe I'll try dry hopping. Never done that before either!
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)