Thread: Just Brewed

Just Brewed

I've allowed my carboys to collect dust for a couple of years. Just busy. But bound and determined, I finally got it together and brewed yesterday. Active bubbling this morning, so I think it's all on track.

I looked for one of the subjects and didn't see a just brewed category.
    I hope it's OK if this get's posted here.

My hand-made reversed flow chiller performed another miracle for me. True, the cold Spring water (Kansas City) and slow flow helped. Patience rewarded. I was able to pitch right away.

What is it? I am calling this a darkened and dry hopped Amber. Handful of roasted barley on top of 2 lb 40L crystal (and a couple of pounds of Cara Amber). The puffs emerging from the airlocks are delicious already

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoChillaWoikin.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DryHoppedDarkenedAmber.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	1693

Very nice! What's the foil around the ball valve on your keggle for?
    ON TAP:
    Founders KBS Clone Brewed in '11 - almost gone!
    American ESB Hybrid (1)

BOTTLED:

KEGGED:

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY:

A couple of things:
    You can see the wide boards (odd pieces of sheet rock, plywood etc) shrouding the keg to focus the heat into the keg. The shrouding heats the brew kettle much faster and saves time AND propane (especially if it is windy). The aluminum foil helps hold back the heat where the valve is, so the heat goes up instead of out past the valve.

The other thing is heat protection. Lots of billowing high temp gases come out under the valve, especially with those board/panel shrouds. The aluminum foil holds that back, protects the valve from excessive heat, but also keeps it cooler so I don't have to use pliers to open and close

The wort has a honey color. I wonder if that is the amber mostly. Yes, there is 40L crystal in there, but I don't remember that rich glow on my pale ales or dark brews. The primaries are happily burping away. I like to pick them up at this early stage and give them a gentle but thorough swirling. They gas off big time and the yeast is dispersed. Then I set it back on the table in the basement and get a good noseful of the continuous release. Then it settles back down and I go off to my otherwise humdrum escapades.

Last edited by Pale Embiber; 04-09-2015 at 08:58 PM.

That makes sense. Good idea. Maybe you could buy some sheet metal and wrap it around or something.

The color coming from the keggle into the chiller looks awesome!
    ON TAP:
    American ESB Hybrid (1)

BOTTLED:

KEGGED:

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY:

Just brewed (last wednesday) an ESB. Had nice deep amber/orange hue. All went well, hit all my temps perfectly and wham, BOIL OVER when I thought I was clear of the hotbreak for that threat. So, after hosing down the garage floor and yelling the F word at the top of my lungs more times than I can recall, I added half an ounce of Chinook hops for bittering to compensate for the loss. Not sure how much, but it was 4 oz of Tettnager hops for bittering. (10 gallon batch). We shall see how it ends up, but the wort sample tasted fine to me.
    ON TAP:
    American ESB Hybrid (1)

BOTTLED:

KEGGED:

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY:

Update: My ESB turned out absolutely awesome. I kegged it today after a long primary, and it's probably the best I've brewed since I started brewing 9 years ago. Based on the warm, flat sample I drank today.
    ON TAP:
    American ESB Hybrid (1)

BOTTLED:

KEGGED:

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY:

Congrats! I'm glad everything turned out well. Hope it's even better when it's cool and frothy
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)