European Pale Lager

BJCP Style Guidelines

1d: Munich Helles
    1e: Dortmunder Export

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category1.html

2a: German Pilsner (Pils)
    2b: Bohemian Pilsner

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category2.html
    Last edited by danno; 05-05-2005 at 10:14 PM.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

here's a nice Dortmunder Export I've made twice to good reviews from actual german dudes and dudettes...if link works:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=1061

Eddy Czech Pils

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
    ----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
    Total Grain (Lbs): 9.00
    Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.70
    Anticipated SRM: 3.2
    Anticipated IBU: 53.4
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
    Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    83.3 7.50 lbs. Pilsener Malt(2-Row) Continental Eu 1.035 1
    11.1 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
    5.6 0.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.20 33.6 75 min.
    2.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.20 19.8 35 min.
    1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.20 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
    -----

WYeast 2278 Czech Pils

Add hop tea made with 1 oz of Saaz leaf to secondary.

Ferment at 55 F until 70% attenuated (70 % of expected attenuation that is) then raise temp to 65F for diacetyl rest for 1-2 days then rack and lager at 38 F for no less than a month.

For this recipe - I do a single rest at 150-152 F. I always use moravian for this recipe and I think it's worth it. European pils malts have less protein that makes a clearer end product.

I have done this recipe using two steps and a single decoction but didn't notice any particular benefit.
    Last edited by Fast_Eddy; 11-12-2004 at 09:50 AM.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

I have brewed what denver brew has posted and was pleased with results. Did vary a bit with the yeast and used Southern German Lager.

maibock

I had a Dundee sampler pack and in it was a "Pale Bock." I tried to duplicate that beverage. Mine needs some aging, as it still has a bit of tang from the yeast, but it has some similarity so far. It so far seems to be a heavy beverage with both strong barley and strong hop characteristics, but it might be more of a yeast flavor than a barley flavor.

I usually dough in at 141 but I was going to try to start doing 151 instead. I screwed up the temperature, but long story short: I decocted four quarts, and in the end, with a partially stuck sparge, I took half of the mash and warmed it to 150 and sent it to conversion on the stove, and I added 185 degree water to the rest of the mash and warmed it up to 140 conversion temperature until it finished. . . so no matter what I put in the recipe, it might not come out the same unless you at least decoct some. Also, this was too much barley for mashing in a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket.

9 gallons sparged, 7.5 gallons after the boil [in a 7.9g wine fermenter bucket], OG 1.056
    14# Briess pils
    4# Briess munich [light]

3/4 ounce Columbus 14.2AAU at 60 minutes
    3/4 ounce Mt Hood at 30 minutes
    1 ounce liberty at 15 minutes

White Lab WLP 833 German bock yeast
    ==
    for a five gallon batch
    10# pils
    3# munich
    1/2 ounce of 14AAU hops or 1 ounce 7AAU hops at 60
    1/2 ounce flavoring hop at 30
    1/2 to 1 ounce aroma hop at 15

============
    I had so much screwup in this production that I was still lautering 1.030, so I ran off a few more gallons, used more hops and a separate pot, and pitched SAF lager 23 into the excess batch [my 'rewash' batch]. The flavor was far different from the bock yeast. Just a note to anyone thinking of trying to make bock type beverage on the cheap: buy the bock yeast. They taste nothing alike. I probably could have gone with less munich, but the yeast was a necessity for the flavor profile.

=================
    edit>>>
    April 23: I opened my last JW Dundee Pale Boch and compared it to what I made.

Lesson one: drop the aroma hop, unless you want some hallertau. [I did not like hallertau very much in anything I had it in before, where I could sense it unique in the recipe, but in this variety of beverage, the Liberty was just plain unsatisfying]

Lesson two: refrigerate / lager three weeks before consuming more than a taste from a hydrometer. Avoid the temptation to do anything more than check that it was not contaminated. This yeast numbs the tongue until it gets lagered. After the lager of three weeks, the yeast has not compacted in the bottle, so you have to be careful when decanting. This might be a yeast matter instead of an issue for the style of beverage, but the cake in the bottom of the bottle broke as soon as air hit it, but it was cold and settled enough to not be like it was prior to lagering.

Lesson three: I need to figure out if the Dundee flavor I wished to reproduce was hop or barley or yeast. If only there was a <replay> button on the empties.
    ========
    Edit 2>>>>>

I found the Dundee web page and it indicates a Saaz hop. . .

Dundee Pale Bock Lager
    A traditional German Maibock with a deep, golden color, malty-sweet aroma, and clean finish from Magnum and Czech Saaz hops.

Gold Award Winner of the 2006 World Beer Cup: German-style Heller-Bock/Maibock Category.
    Last edited by msk; 04-29-2009 at 05:14 PM.