Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bitter & English Pale Ale

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Rat
    WLP037 Yorkshire Square, if you're after anything S. Smith. Google "yorkshire square brewing" to find out why.

Well I looked it up and that seems to make sense, thanks for the millrat. I was looking at the pictures and reading up on the squares themselves, and they don't look sanitary at all. I mean they are open to any and all bacteria that could get in no?

On a side note, I think I'm gunna call the beer, "Hip to be Square Pale Ale"
    It's like a chorus of angels riding whales through space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronathon
    Well I looked it up and that seems to make sense, thanks for the millrat. I was looking at the pictures and reading up on the squares themselves, and they don't look sanitary at all. I mean they are open to any and all bacteria that could get in no?
    I'd say yes, but from everything I've read, a good, healthy yeast starter seems to essentially "crowd out" any harmful bacteria that could be present. Seems the yeast eat up all the nutrients a bad bacteria would require, and the foam made by a top fermenting yeast would serve as a barrier to anything entering the beer from the air?

Quote Originally Posted by tronathon
    On a side note, I think I'm gunna call the beer, "Hip to be Square Pale Ale"
    Haaaaa
    -Nate
    "A thing worth doing, is worth doing right" -Hunter S. Thompson

On Deck: somethin' dark and rich...
    Primary: (open)
    Secondary: (open)
    Bottled: AG Gumball, Old Lazarus Barleywine

From Yorkshire Squares
    By Peter Robinson
    Brewery History Society Journal

"The yeast used in the Yorkshire system is unusual in that it acts particularly slowly and requires frequent rousing and aerating if it is to work properly. This action is due in part to the yeast’s strongly top-fermenting qualities, which cause it to rise rapidly to the surface of the fermenting wort and thereby reduce its ability to perform its task of converting sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide.

The beers produced by the system, however, "drink very full for their gravities, and which, since they retain large quantities of carbon dioxide, are full of life." The effervescent nature of the beers brewed by the stone square system help to protect them from airborne infection during fermentation; it may also offer an explanation for another, peculiarly Yorkshire tradition, that of dispensing beer by means of handpumps fitted with autovac equipment, utilizing a very tight sparkle.

The agitating action of the handpump displaces much of the dissolved carbon dioxide gas and at the same time introduces air into the beer. It is the air which produces the smooth texture to the beer and supports the long lasting, creamy head, so beloved of all serious beer drinkers in the Yorkshire area. "

So MillRat, if you use WLP037 Yorkshire Square yeast, do you have to agitate the fermenter when brewing with this at the home level? Sam Smith's brewery said they use a recirculating system to keep the yeast roused? Also, what's the answer for the handpumps?
    Last edited by Mikegobrew; 08-25-2010 at 10:13 AM.

I saw that too mike, I don't think the beer needs to be aerated anymore than usual but I think because the yeast is so top cropping that it actually ferments the top layer of the brew and can't access the lower fermentable stuff. So I imagine just sloshing the beer around in the primary, while keeping it capped obviously, would probably do it.

I've heard you have to do this with really flocculant (sp?) yeast strains that settle out really well.

I don't think this will oxygenate the beer too much as long as you keep the top on so the CO2 keeps the O2 out.

As for the hand pumps to oxygenate the beer during service...uhm, no Idea...maybe they make an insert for taps that aerate the liquid? I know they have em for faucets, the one in my bathroom has it. It's kinda like a little screen that inserts into the tip of the faucet that forces the water threw a limited area, it comes out all frothy.

shrug, it's a thought...I will say, Sammy Smith outta a bottle tastes pretty damn good so it might not the necessary

Dumpster Fire Bitter

6 Northern Brewer Gold LME
    1 lb Wheat DME
    .5 Caramel - 40L
    .5 Weyerman CaraWheat
    .25 Roasted Barley

1.5 Styrian Goldings 60
    1 Styrian Goldings 20
    1 Williamette Dry Hop 8 Days

Nottingham Ale Yeast

ABV 6.3%
    IBU 35.2
    SRM 18

This turned out really nice. Nice clean toasty flavor and aroma resembling the spring thaw with a sort of burnt amber color. Very Refreshing! Makes me look forward to the actual spring thaw. I may back off on the hops a tiny bit next time. I've honestly never had a beer quite like this one.
    Last edited by Baacktoberfest; 02-11-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

I just wanted to let you guys know that this is a great beer. Seriously, if anyone is looking for a VERY solid ESB, this is it!
    Last edited by Baacktoberfest; 06-20-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

Brewed this 16 days ago - it's already delicious

A Delicious ESB

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
    -------------------------------

04-C Bitter & English Pale Ale, Strong Bitter/English Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.046 Max OG: 1.065
    Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 65
    Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
    ----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
    Total Grain (Lbs): 21.01
    Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.87
    Anticipated SRM: 16.4
    Anticipated IBU: 42.9
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
    Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    71.4 15.00 lbs. Optic Malt Great Britain 1.036 3
    4.8 1.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
    7.1 1.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
    10.7 2.25 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
    6.0 1.26 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.00 oz. Wye Target WB Pellet 8.10 21.3 90 min.
    1.00 oz. Wye Target WB Pellet 8.10 9.9 30 min.
    1.00 oz. Wye Challenger WB Pellet 8.20 5.2 15 min.
    1.00 oz. Wye Northdown WB Pellet 8.60 4.1 10 min.
    1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. WB Pellet 6.10 2.4 1 min.
    1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. WB Pellet 6.10 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
    -----

Wyeast 1968

Mash Schedule
    -------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 21.01
    Water Qts: 30.00 - Before Additional Infusions
    Water Gal: 7.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.43 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 90
    Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
    Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 9.18 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Fermented at 65F. It finished at 4 P.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

Fast Eddy, in person. You haven't been here in a while, it's great to see you back. That looks like an excellent beer. I've never used Wye Target, but I do love Wye Challenger for bittering and Goldings for late additions in a lot of my British style ales.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    Fast Eddy, in person. You haven't been here in a while, it's great to see you back. That looks like an excellent beer. I've never used Wye Target, but I do love Wye Challenger for bittering and Goldings for late additions in a lot of my British style ales.
    Nice to meet you and nice to be remembered

I'm back brewing. I think I just burned myself out before. For those dry hops, I made a hop tea and man, oh, man it really kicked it up to the next level.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12