Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: India Pale Ale

Quote Originally Posted by corkybstewart
    Welcome to the addiction, I hope you enjoy it.
    First of all you shouldn't try a DIPA or any high gravity beer until you have a feel for the process. Higher gravity beers present some problems that you dont want to deal with on your first try. Get a few beers under your belt and then start going bigger.
    The only thing i would do with that recipe is to change the amber LME to pale LME. You should generally use the palest extracts you can find and adjust for flavor and color with specialty grains. Also I would throw in an oz of hops at 20 and 10 minutes.
    I think back to my first brew and I'm glad I went with something simple. Learning the process with a standard kit was difficult enough for me. It took me about 4 brews to be confident I knew what I was doing. I brewed the same kit several times to make sure and it got better every time. I second the notion of waiting for the high gravity until a little later down the road.

Imperial IPA

The recipe is that of a local brewery in the area, and if it turns out close I will be pleased~

12 lbs. 2-Row Brewers Malt; Rahr
    0.75 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L; Briess
    0.75 lbs. Weyermann CaraMunich® II; Weyermann
    0.125 lbs. Victory® Malt; Briess
    1 oz. Ahtanum (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 90 min.
    0.5 oz. Amarillo® (Pellets, 8.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
    1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
    1.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
    1 oz. Amarillo® (Pellets, 8.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
    1 oz. Simcoe® (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) used as dry hop.
    Yeast : White Labs WLP007 Dry English or Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

I brewed this today and am sitting at 1.075 OG
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

This is the best beer I have made thus far!
    I tried a 1 week conditioned green bottle and it has a nice malty/hoppy kick to it. It is a little bitter at the end, but I think a few more weeks could help mold this into a great clone!
    I will never just drop hop pellets into my secondary again, I clogged up my pipes way too many times. I went out and grabbed a few hop bags.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567